VOGONS

ISA VGA Card?

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 62, by silentwulf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Checked the memory on the card, along with the main chip. Seemed like they were seated just fine. There are two jumpers...but with no diagram, or documentation, I'm not 100% sure what they stand for. Hopefully the pictures below help;
dsc01484rh.th.jpg
dsc01483a.th.jpg
dsc01486nf.th.jpg
dsc01488ix.th.jpg

Reply 41 of 62, by dacow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

On this image http://imageshack.us/f/708/dsc01486nf.jpg, is it just me or do some of the traces look cut to the ET4000AX chip? Near the C22 capacitor on the right hand side of the pic, about half way down.

Reply 42 of 62, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The 8 chips on the top-left corner is the vram and they are seperated in 2 groups: 4 + 4
Each 4 chips is 512kb as far as I can see , so maybe you can do this test to see if it makes any difference:

a. remove U5 - U6 - U7 - U8 chips and test the card (U5 - U6 - U7 - U8 sockets are empty)
b. remove U1 - U2 -U3 - U4 chips, put in the sockets the U5-6-7-8 chips and test the card (U5 - U6 - U7 - U8 sockets are empty)
c. try different jumper settings, you won't damage anything ... just start with both jumpers OFF

Maybe you will get it working with half the vram or find a jumper combo that works... the jumpers are most likely the "fastwrite ON/OFF" setting but they can also be 8/16bit setting... just try 😀

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 44 of 62, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ hmmm it does look fishy... like someone tried to work there unsuccessfully with a sodering iron OR something hit the cart there...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 47 of 62, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

some first results with vidspeed 4.0 on P3 800 MHz:

isa_text.png

isa_320x200.png

isa_640x480.png

Notes:
- V7 Vega is a 8 Bit card, OTI 037C didn't showed an image on the BX board...
- 640x480 SVGA modes are only available on cards that have more than 256 kB RAM
- ET4000s can be quite different in speed (I tested jumper variations)
- I got some more cards that are currently in systems, results may follow later, since this requires some disassembly of the systems.
- Images of the cards can be found in my gallery.
- Results for 8/16 Bit Read/Write scale

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 49 of 62, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

if the damage is on those pins on the main chip then the memory swap won't really do anything... please also check that the pins in question do not touch each other , if they do then with extreme caution try separate them , gently!

Reply 51 of 62, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

ILLTS4HV, Machspeed and ET4000AX gruen is TC6100AF and the ColorImage card is TC6058AF.

ET4000AX gruen: http://mail.lipsia.de/~enigma/neu/pics/tseng_et4000ax_1.jpg
ColorImage card: http://mail.lipsia.de/~enigma/neu/pics/graphi … ng_et4000ax.jpg

I tried with and without 1WS jumper for memory on the ET4000s and it does not change the transfer rates at all.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 55 of 62, by silentwulf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
sliderider wrote:
dacow wrote:
silentwulf wrote:

Looks like the card I purchased is faulty 🙁

At least it means you can go buy another one 😀

Unless he's married. 🤣

Not married, so I can splurge on these antiques 🤣
Going to replace the motherboard in this box before I buy a new card (CPU is permanently attached to this motherboard), so I can upgrade the processor :3

Reply 56 of 62, by silentwulf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Returned the card in question...and was looking through some of my spare ISA/PCI cards, and found something, unique.

I remember finding this at a Goodwill, where pretty much any random item is thrown into these large bins, and the price of the item is determined by weight. With that in mind, I have no idea if this card works, but it's a TrueVision card. It looks to be a controller card, as it has IDE plugs on the card, a Parallel port on the front, and VGA port. The board has a TSENG ET4000AX chip on it as well.

Anyone know anything about TrueVision boards? I'll post pictures later, as this card is incredibly long.

Reply 57 of 62, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sounds like a TrueVision Bravado. It's VGA + video capture. The DB25 port is for a breakout box that gives the video input (and maybe also output?) connectors, and the 40 pin header is probably for a daughterboard of some sort... maybe some sort of thing for video compression or whatnot.

Reply 59 of 62, by silentwulf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well good news is, the Bravado works perfectly. Ironic, since it's been sitting on a table (I thought it was just junk, considering how dirty it was, and only 99 cents) this whole time. Didn't need to go through the trouble of buying one in the first place. All graphical anomalies are gone. Speed is still sluggish, but that's the CPU as far as I can diagnose at this point 😜

Here's a picture for shits'n'giggles. Bravado is installed at the bottom.
dsc01494y.jpg