VOGONS

First post, by Filosofia

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm currently in doubt about whether to use the SLI V2 setup on one PC or another.

The first contender is my first PC I built back in 1998, it has a Slot 1 440BX based motherboard from DFI and a PIII 550, that is the max I can go because the VRM only deals Katmai I think. I can easily get it to 600MHz and it would be a very capable system.

On the other corner is some stuff put together as a test system. The mainboard has one of those early 133 VIA chips and a Tualatin at 1.0GHz.

What would you do? 😀

BGWG as in Boogie Woogie.

Reply 2 of 23, by Filosofia

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The board is a P2BXL ( or P2XBL ?) I don't have it here right now.
That is a good thing because I was sad to leave my first computer.
Thanks for your reply 😉

Reply 3 of 23, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A P3 600 will definitely be a bit of a bottleneck in some games. But with SLI you can run 1024x768 which is nice regardless of CPU. At 800x600 a P3 600 has little hope of saturating V2SLI.

However, V2SLI does run into texture memory constraints (yes including the 12 mb cards) in some games and can stutter as a result. I see it in Unreal at times. SLI doubles the framebuffer capacity but the texture memory stays equal to a single card. I prefer Voodoo3 or higher as a result with more advanced games.

Reply 4 of 23, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think the CPU dependancy gets very overblown with these old accelerators... Even though you can squeeze a few more frames out of them (in situations that had fluent framerates already) at 1024x768 the video card will limit you pretty much all the time.

I moved from PIII 500 Katmai to PIII 900 Coppermine and don't notice any difference in UT at all when not benchmarking (V3), it dips down in firefights equally with both CPUs.

Reply 5 of 23, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you want to get period accurate I remember people using P2 400 with V2SLI. P3 600 is pretty nice compared to that. Personally I would run a P3 1400 these days. Chop doesn't entertain me much.

Last edited by swaaye on 2013-01-28, 19:56. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 8 of 23, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

On a P1400 I would run with a faster card. Like a Voodoo 3 or Voodoo 5. A Geforce 256 or 2 would also work pretty well.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 9 of 23, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Reminds me of that guy on youtube posting videos of newer games running on V2 SLI (8MB 🤣) with his dual Xeons, like NFSU2. He claims to be using 3D Analyze.

Seems legit, especially when compared to the quality and framerate of Doom3 running on V2 SLI 12MB... 😉 He also states that two V2 cards "configured right" will outperform a V5.

Reply 10 of 23, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
d1stortion wrote:

Reminds me of that guy on youtube posting videos of newer games running on V2 SLI (8MB 🤣) with his dual Xeons, like NFSU2. He claims to be using 3D Analyze.

Seems legit, especially when compared to the quality and framerate of Doom3 running on V2 SLI 12MB... 😉 He also states that two V2 cards "configured right" will outperform a V5.

Some years ago someone was selling a widget that would allow SLI with four V2 cards all at once. That config, at least, outperformed a V2 for Glide 2.x apps, apparently.

Reply 11 of 23, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Outperformed a Voodoo5 you mean? I could see that. Multi GPU scaled pretty well back in those days of simple rendering with minimal inter-frame dependencies. Voodoo2 has a lot of caveats compared to 4-5 though, such as max texture size, and the need for a minimum of two texture layers for max utilization.

Reply 12 of 23, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I meant running NFSU2 at this quality and what seems to be almost 30fps (can't judge by the bad quality of the vid). I may buy into one CPU running the game and the other doing the missing functions through 3D Analyze, but 8MB for a game that requires a 32 meg card? Seems a bit far-fetched, but if it's really running on the Voodoos it'd be quite impressive, while of course still defeating the point of using Voodoo cards for such a game.

Reply 13 of 23, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That guy is known for being a total asshat and he refuses to approve ANY comment that says anything against his video. Just try posting one sensible word about how it is not possible and see it never appear..

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 14 of 23, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

But what's the point of making such videos? In the comments he claims he had "proven" it runs on the Voodoos by pulling the cable out in another of his vids or something, haven't watched all of his crap though. This guy must really have too much time to waste 😉

Reply 15 of 23, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
d1stortion wrote:

I meant running NFSU2 at this quality and what seems to be almost 30fps (can't judge by the bad quality of the vid). I may buy into one CPU running the game and the other doing the missing functions through 3D Analyze, but 8MB for a game that requires a 32 meg card? Seems a bit far-fetched, but if it's really running on the Voodoos it'd be quite impressive, while of course still defeating the point of using Voodoo cards for such a game.

Oh I was referring to Jorpho's comment about quad Voodoo2. 😀

The NFSU2 guy is indeed probably crazy. I have a lot of capture videos on Youtube and get some really wildly strange comments sometimes. Youtube is the nexus of all forms of human life.

Reply 16 of 23, by Filosofia

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
d1stortion wrote:

I think the CPU dependancy gets very overblown with these old accelerators

just for fun I did a little testing of graphic cards vs cpu, could not run GP500 on 1GHz / i815 / 512MB SDRAM / Ati Rage Pro , which run smoothly on 350MHz / 440BX / 256MB SDRAM / single 8MB Voodoo2

EDIT: the first setup runs Deus Ex fine.
EDIT EDIT: sorry I meant Rage 128 Pro 😊

Reply 17 of 23, by Dant

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jorpho wrote:
d1stortion wrote:

Some years ago someone was selling a widget that would allow SLI with four V2 cards all at once. That config, at least, outperformed a V2 for Glide 2.x apps, apparently.

What?!? It's possible to do quad SLI with Voodoo 2s? I must know how this was possible!

Reply 18 of 23, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dant wrote:

What?!? It's possible to do quad SLI with Voodoo 2s? I must know how this was possible!

This is how its possible:
http://www.thedodgegarage.com/3dfx/q3d_mercury_brick.htm

Quantum 3d mercury brick. Eight Voodoo IIs with up to 96mb RAM.

Reply 19 of 23, by Dant

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
elfuego wrote:
This is how its possible: http://www.thedodgegarage.com/3dfx/q3d_mercury_brick.htm […]
Show full quote
Dant wrote:

This is how its possible:
http://www.thedodgegarage.com/3dfx/q3d_mercury_brick.htm

Quantum 3d mercury brick. Eight Voodoo IIs with up to 96mb RAM.

Oh... I knew about those. I thought he meant with consumer cards. That's still awesome, although, I thought the only performance gains the heavy metal systems got was with Anti-Aliasing turned up to some extravagant amount.