User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
swaaye wrote:

Outperformed a Voodoo5 you mean?

Oops. Yes. 😅

Dant wrote:

Oh... I knew about those. I thought he meant with consumer cards.

That's what I remember seeing. Alas, I could not seem to find it via searching just now. I might be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure the riser card was more simplistic than the one pictured in that link.

If someone could please find this it will save me from going nuts.

Reply 21 of 23, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
d1stortion wrote:

Reminds me of that guy on youtube posting videos of newer games running on V2 SLI (8MB 🤣) with his dual Xeons, like NFSU2. He claims to be using 3D Analyze.

Seems legit, especially when compared to the quality and framerate of Doom3 running on V2 SLI 12MB... 😉 He also states that two V2 cards "configured right" will outperform a V5.

I used to be friends with that guy a few years back and to be honest most of the videos of "newer games" running on that setup used the Geforce 3 instead of the V2s but that is not to say that they couldn't run but with missing textures.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 22 of 23, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Filosofia wrote:

The first contender is my first PC I built back in 1998, it has a Slot 1 440BX based motherboard from DFI and a PIII 550, that is the max I can go because the VRM only deals Katmai I think. I can easily get it to 600MHz and it would be a very capable system.

What part number is the VRM chip? Some older revision boards that don't officially support coppermine actually will run them, but it depends if you got lucky with what VRM was installed at the factory.
Those boards have BIOS support available for Coppermines, I've tested one of them before.

Attached photo shows where the VRM chip is

Attachments

• 27-vrm.jpg
    Filename
    27-vrm.jpg
    File size
    22.29 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 23 of 23, by Filosofia

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
shamino wrote:
What part number is the VRM chip? Some older revision boards that don't officially support coppermine actually will run them, bu […]
Show full quote
Filosofia wrote:

The first contender is my first PC I built back in 1998, it has a Slot 1 440BX based motherboard from DFI and a PIII 550, that is the max I can go because the VRM only deals Katmai I think. I can easily get it to 600MHz and it would be a very capable system.

What part number is the VRM chip? Some older revision boards that don't officially support coppermine actually will run them, but it depends if you got lucky with what VRM was installed at the factory.
Those boards have BIOS support available for Coppermines, I've tested one of them before.

Attached photo shows where the VRM chip is

Back in 1998 only could get a Rev.B1 , I'll take a look asap.

BGWG as in Boogie Woogie.