VOGONS

First post, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The Sound Blaster AWE64 Gold was Creative's last / final / flasgship ISA Sound Card.

It is quite an interesting cards with strengths such as golden RCA outputs, a good signal to noise ratio, no hanging note problems with the MPU401 interface, very flexible resource management (you can turn off features and turn it into just a Game Port if you want).

But it also has downsides, the biggest one: not having a real Yamaha OPL3 chip.

It uses a Creative OPL3 clone, refered to as CQM, which tried to sound like the OPL3, but sounds different. However there is one feature that makes the AWE64 Gold with its CQM quite interesting and that is the ability to apply Reverb and Chorus.

This video compares various Reverb and Chorus settings!

Every two and a half seconds the track switches. There is an image showing which Reverb and Chorus setting is currently used.

There are three parts. The first part compares Reverb, the second part Chorus and the final part Reverb + Chorus.

Personally, I really like this feature. It is especially handy if you don't have a MIDI device and want to improve / enhance FM sounds.

Let me know what you think? What setting do you prefer?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIYYdfyNA_U

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 23, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Personally, I really like this feature. It is especially handy if you don't have a MIDI device and want to improve / enhance FM sounds.

I think this is just a side effect of the routing of the FM sounds through the Emu8K stealing 2 voices. Probably most of the AWE32s can do this.
The Emu8K has some fixed reverb/chorus settings that you can see f.e. in the Windows Awepanel tool. Aweutil in plain DOS does not allow to choose the profile.

Other ISA sound cards like the Dream based ones allow to apply any effect on the inputs. So the codec can be routed through the DSP and Echo/Reverb/Chorus. Profiles like Hall, Room2, Delay etc. can be chosen and tuned.
The Maxi Sound 64 series from Guillemot uses this feature extensivly and brings a tool with profiles for nearly any game of that time.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 3 of 23, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some clever cookie on here did some trickery and got their OPL3 routed through the reverb/chorus unit on an XR385 daughterboard.

I remember asking for the details, but didn't get any reply...

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 4 of 23, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You guys are only scratching the surface of this 😉

What you need is the Master Mixer 5.11. This mixer can set different profiles for chorus/reverb, and it comes with another utility called AWE32FXWorkshop for creating/editing the profiles.

Here is a download link: Master Mixer 5.11.
And here is an old review of the utility on Queststudios.

Reply 6 of 23, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
5u3 wrote:

You guys are only scratching the surface of this 😉

What you need is the Master Mixer 5.11. This mixer can set different profiles for chorus/reverb, and it comes with another utility called AWE32FXWorkshop for creating/editing the profiles.

Thanks for pointing this out. I completely forgot about this tool while I even have this on my own ftp driver archive.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 8 of 23, by dacow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I can see Mau1wurf1977 making another video soon 😀

I never really used the chorus/reverb until I saw the amazing difference it made with the PC speaker!

Nice vid as always Mau1wurf!

Reply 10 of 23, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Very nice! Will definitely check it out 😀

My YouTube channel

Reply 11 of 23, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

An AWE64 value can apply the reverb to the FM too. A fun game to try it with is Zone66 😀 also, of course, AWE32 isn't capable of this.

Yep yep, the AWE32 can apply reverb to FM synth music as well (and chorus effects too), using the same "AWEUTIL" utility in the video 😀

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
http://www.richnagel.net

Reply 12 of 23, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Good to know! Does that apply also to AWE32 cards with OPL3 chips?

My YouTube channel

Reply 13 of 23, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The AWE32 cards with the CT1747 chip (OPL3) route FM through the EMU8K. The AWE32 cards with the CT1978 chip (CQM) do not.

Is this topic really news to some folks? Feels like the same stuff gets said over and over and over and over on the Vogons forum....

Reply 15 of 23, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cloudschatze wrote:

Feels like the same stuff gets said over and over and over and over on the Vogons forum....

Yes. What we need is a wiki. (This also has been mentioned before).

Reply 16 of 23, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cloudschatze wrote:

The AWE32 cards with the CT1747 chip (OPL3) route FM through the EMU8K. The AWE32 cards with the CT1978 chip (CQM) do not.

All of the AWE32s that I had were CT2760 sound cards, so I'm assuming those had the CT1747 chip 😀

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
http://www.richnagel.net

Reply 17 of 23, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Good to know! Does that apply also to AWE32 cards with OPL3 chips?

Yup, it also applies for those. I can confirm it for CT3980 😀

Reply 18 of 23, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
5u3 wrote:
Cloudschatze wrote:

Feels like the same stuff gets said over and over and over and over on the Vogons forum....

Very good idea. If not that, then perhaps a FAQ thread with the most discussed tidbits and problems would be viable I think.

Reply 19 of 23, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
d1stortion wrote:
5u3 wrote:
Cloudschatze wrote:

Very good idea. If not that, then perhaps a FAQ thread with the most discussed tidbits and problems would be viable I think.

Oracle Cloudschatze can write it.