VOGONS

Mcdex not noticing new cd-rom

Topic actions

First post, by dosquest

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok so I have an SB Blaster Pro (delux edition) and it has the CD-ROM that comes with it, well that drive is broken but I only realized that after installing the drivers and configuring it and when I ran "cdtest.exe" and I loaded multiple CDs it said it could not read them, so I swapped it out for a Sony drive 8x and now when I boot up the pc (it's DOS 6.22 with win 3.11 Ontop) it complains it can't find the CDROM, so was the mcdex that was installed some custom SB Pro version? And can I flush the cd drivers or so I have to delete the folder "sbpro" in c: ? Because I can just delete c:\sbpro and then reinstall the sound drivers and applications because the autoexec.bat and config.sys won't get deleted when I delete the folder.

Reply 1 of 23, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I use this disk from Samsung. Never failed me.

Attachments

Reply 7 of 23, by dosquest

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What should my device line look like after adding the new driver? Because it says c:\sbpro\drv\drivernameiforgot.sys

Doom isn't just a game, it's an apocalypse survival simulator.

Reply 8 of 23, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Stull wrote:

Just out of curiosity, what kind of memory footprint does the Samsung driver have? OAKCDROM.SYS takes like 35k and I'm wondering if this is any less.

I don't know. I must check in my DOS machine. What drive do you use? I have several drivers. Some are smaller than others.

dosquest wrote:

What should my device line look like after adding the new driver? Because it says c:\sbpro\drv\drivernameiforgot.sys

Did you run CDSETUP?

There is a README file included. Did you even bother reading it? Is that asking too much?

Reply 9 of 23, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I hope you did not plug the replacement cd-rom drive to the SB Pros Panasonic CD-ROM interface.
I guess the Goldstar is ATAPI compliant and should be connected to an IDE controller.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 10 of 23, by Stull

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
sprcorreia wrote:

I don't know. I must check in my DOS machine. What drive do you use? I have several drivers. Some are smaller than others.

I have a LiteOn drive. I just tried the driver for the hell of it and it looks like it takes up 28k, so that's an improvement. Thanks!

Reply 11 of 23, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a LiteOn drive. I just tried the driver for the hell of it and it looks like it takes up 28k, so that's an improvement. Thanks!

I always used Mitsumi's driver. As I just got one 486 and I checked its memory usage. Its just 11.168B == 11KB. And as far as I know it works as it should. I have version 1.55 that isn't the latest - the latest is 1.58 (i believe) and can be DL'ed here:
http://www.pcwelt.de/downloads/Mitsumi-1-58-D … er-1325122.html

I will try the new version later and I hope it recognises my DVD-RW unit NEC 2500A. The Sony CD-ROM unit that is installed right now isn't reading CD-RW discs. 😒

Reply 12 of 23, by Stull

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kixs wrote:

I always used Mitsumi's driver. As I just got one 486 and I checked its memory usage. Its just 11.168B == 11KB. And as far as I know it works as it should. I have version 1.55 that isn't the latest - the latest is 1.58 (i believe) and can be DL'ed here:
http://www.pcwelt.de/downloads/Mitsumi-1-58-D … er-1325122.html

This is a thing of beauty. It works with my drive, is small enough to load in high memory...620KB available now...wow!

dosquest wrote:

CONFIG.SYS should be like:
DEVICEHIGH=C:\DRIVERS\SSCDROM.SYS /D:BANANA

AUTOEXEC.BAT (/L:E is for drive letter E:, change accordingly):
LH C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX.EXE /D:BANANA /L:E

Reply 14 of 23, by dosquest

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok I have come to the conclusion that the drive is dead, the optical eye is fried, the audio pass through stil works but it's function as a cd-rom is no longer

Reply 15 of 23, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is a thing of beauty. It works with my drive, is small enough to load in high memory...620KB available now...wow!

Believe me that back in the days I was quite a sucker for optimising DOS and Windows 3.1 performance - memory tuning was essential. So I checked every possible driver for smallest memory footprint. I even used an old MS mouse driver that used around 10K and was still compatible with evey mouse attached - the same is with Mitsumi CD-ROM driver - never had any problems with any brand (Sony, HP, LiteOn, Goldstar, Teac, Plextor, Traxdata...).

Btw:
My 486 system has 625KB free.

cy

Reply 16 of 23, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

From my experience the drivers size does not matter much as long as you have enough UMBs available. For older systems this is usually 192 kB. So even if I load all default drivers that have a rather large memory footprint there are still free UMBs left (incl. EMS pageframe).

In most cases the problem is more related to using a newer system where graphics cards use two or four times more memory for BIOS ROMs etc., so you get less UMBs and have to consider loading smaller drivers.

The usual configurations nowadays are modest. It gets much more interesting if you want to dial a BBS with ISDN and have to load CAPI and cFOS in addition to the regular drivers and still want to have enough free memory to load a good terminal, external ZModem or Doorway game etc.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 17 of 23, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dosquest wrote:

Ok I have come to the conclusion that the drive is dead, the optical eye is fried, the audio pass through stil works but it's function as a cd-rom is no longer

Hmmm...even if the "optical eye is fried", that shouldn't stop the mscdex from finding the drive. Does the driver in the config.sys able to load in the first place?

(A burnt/spoilt lens is of no use anymore for reading data, but the hardware should be detectable.)

Some old cd drives are very stubborn in that, they insist on loading their proprietary drivers.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 18 of 23, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

elianda:

there were games that required more than 600KB free. I even used Stacker or Dblspace then and this was not an easy task to achieve. So every free KB was necessary. And usually the more free conventional memory you had, less problems with it occurred.

Reply 19 of 23, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The driver size matters a lot if one chooses not to use EMM386 (or similar) and thus cannot use the UMB's to store the drivers.
(Whenever I need Expanded memory (EMS) I load the game from Win98SE.)
I don't even use a CD-ROM in my system but still had to disable Doskey2 to free up some more conventional memory.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul