Topic actions

Reply 20 of 23, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmmm... I use a cd-rom driver that only states this:

IDE/ATAPI CD-ROM Device Driver Version 2.11 17:30:39 06/07/96

and it consumes 5.072 bytes of memory, upper or conventional... never had any probs with it and I couple it with MSCDEX for compatibility reasons ...

edit: had a look at the .exe, it's from ACER 😁 you guys should check it out, it never failed me, the only problems that I encountered ever was with software (like Fade To Black - no videos) that need the original mscdex to function properly...

edit 2: updated 2.15 version at mdgx's site: download the VIDE-CDD.SYS package, it has both 2.14 and 2.15 versions with support files

😊

Attachments

• Filename
    ACER_CDROM_device_driver.zip
    File size
    6.22 KiB
    Downloads
    84 downloads
    File comment
    IDE/ATAPI CD-ROM Device Driver Version 2.11 17:30:39 06/07/96 from ACER
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 22 of 23, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keropi wrote:

edit: had a look at the .exe, it's from ACER 😁 you guys should check it out, it never failed me, the only problems that I encountered ever was with software (like Fade To Black - no videos) that need the original mscdex to function properly...

MSCDEX and the device driver are separate entities. 😀

MSCDEX is definitely the safest bet compared to say SHSUCDX because DOS games tended to be tested and written specifically for MSCDEX behavior.

Reply 23 of 23, by dosquest

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Roy, it dos not read any type of cd, I was saying the audio pass through (the audio out hack on the front of the cd rom drive, when hooked up using the audio cable to the SB pro card, it channels the sound from the audio card when playing either a native sound file or a file from a floppy

Doom isn't just a game, it's an apocalypse survival simulator.