VOGONS

Matrox G400 advice

Topic actions

First post, by northernosprey02

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have HP Vectra VL600 computer which it has Matrox G400.

My experience with Matrox G400 was not bad, I got running Quake II and Half-Life with no problem.

When I play Microsoft Monster Truck Madness 2, I got trouble to using Direct3D. When I set them to Direct3D, it said the computer doesn't have 3D accelerator. So I obliged to software, just I start the game I got BSoD. How to fix them?

And what about TurboGL?

And please give me advice about Matrox G400 and the driver.

Reply 1 of 50, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

TurboGL was Matrox's miniGL for Quake 1/2/3 engine games. They didn't have a full OpenGL driver until early 2000. You probably shouldn't use it anymore.

Not sure about the other problems. G400 isn't the best choice for gaming.

Reply 6 of 50, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I personally think the G400 is better than the Voodoo 3 in nearly every way with the later drivers installed, but obviously Glide would be an exception (even though the V3 doesn't work with all Glide games). The Voodoo 3 is good for speed as it only supports upto 256x256 textures and 16-bit colour, which can of course look a tad ugly and washed out.... I actually think it would choke if it supported 32-bit colour and larger textures.

The G400 trounces the G200 when it comes to 3D gaming... I'm guessing 2D will be similar between the two.

Reply 7 of 50, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That 16-bit argument is so overused. Glide is IMO still the #1 reason to use vintage cards when it comes to compatible games of that era and most of those were optimized so that the dithering isn't too noticable; Unreal and UT come to mind here. Even HL looks very good in 16-bit. Games like Quake 3 that absolutely depend on 32-bit color use OpenGL and can be played perfectly on whatever newer hardware there is.

It is noteworthy that the G400 had Bump Mapping though, although I can't think of any games other than Expendable that used it.

Reply 8 of 50, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

EMBM is also in Dungeon Keeper 2 and Battlezone 2. However the G400 slows down a lot with it enabled. Grab a Radeon instead.

Voodoo3's texture size and color depth limits are meaningless for the games one would play on it. It's universally better than Voodoo2 SLI, a setup that everyone seems to love to death for only nostalgia's sake.

Reply 10 of 50, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What Radeon cards are compatible with EMBM?

Concerning Voodoo 2 SLI, I never used it so far, but read a few times that using it with VSync off causes lines on the screen similar to screen tearing. That would be another argument for V3 (which honestly is the boring, but more practical solution anyway).

Reply 13 of 50, by northernosprey02

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What about GeForce 4 MX4000 AGP performance?

Unfortunately my MX4000 was dead after I reheating them becuase of artifacts

Reply 15 of 50, by northernosprey02

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Now I got no problem when I play Monster Truck Madness 2, and I can set the 3D rendering mode to Direct3D and I have play them with no problem. 😁

BTW, is Matrox G400 support DVD playback?

Reply 17 of 50, by northernosprey02

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just saw the feature list on the G400 review pages:
Full hardware subpicture support for DVD playback

It is true?

Reply 19 of 50, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
swaaye wrote:

It has a few DVD features but most processing is done on the CPU.

It still handles DVDs just fine with a relatively slow CPU, and the DVD picture quality is better than most too... But everyone knows ATI reigned supreme when it came to DVD playback 😉