VOGONS

First post, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

s3 trio agp card, just got it out of long term storage, would have been working when put away.

i am getting random brightly coloured dots on some screens.

They show up on the bios splash screen - ie the bit at the top with the bios logo, not the text-based part of the screen.

And on the menu in vinyl goddess [all over the place, not limited to same area as bios screen].

No issue on setup screens for soundcards, nor on the windows 3.1 desktop.

Tried re-inserting card, cleaning contacts. Now changed for a PCI graphics card [no problem there].

Motherboard worked fine with a matrox agp card - only been put away a few weeks, doubt it's that.

So a video card glitch - cannot see any broken solder round the big chips. A capacitor is bent to one side but still seems attached and doesn't seem bloated.

Bad memory locations on the video ram?

Reply 2 of 4, by orcish75

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Bad memory locations on the video ram?

Yup, I'm guessing that too. Perhaps if your motherboard bios allows it, set your AGP speed to 1x and see if it makes a difference (I doubt it though).

Reply 4 of 4, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I used to get bright green and purple pixels when running video files with a 32MB TNT2 Vanta (or it could have been an M64)... Never found out what caused it though. It only happened while watching AVI, DVDs or game FMV sequences... It was the saqme on a few systems using different drivers.