VOGONS

First post, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello guys, this is my second post here in vogons.
I'm 30, my first computer was a 286. I agree with most of you: emulation is not the same as the real thing! Not at all!
I'm in the progress of building a 486. I'm looking right now for a nice compatible sound card for ms-dos. I have read very good things about the Sound Blaster Pro Ct1600. But I want a daughterboard like the XR385 so I can have midi and the ct1600 does not support it.
I have been looking for a nice Sound Blaster 16 with high compatibility with SBpro and that doesn't have the hang note bug.
After reading quite a lot I have decided to buy a soundcard with the Yamaha YMF719 chip on it and not a SB16.
I bought this model, any opinions? Has anybody used this card?
It is supossed to have a high compatibility with Sound Blaster Pro and the XR385 can be attached to it.
For the sake of it I also have the option of getting a Ct1600 for around 19$, but if the YMF719E-S does the job I don't think I will for the time being. Maybe in the future, to compare it with other soundcards, etc.

Yamaha A151-A00 ISA (YMF719E-S Chipset)

t2ec16dee9s2uippvbqsjfc.jpg

Last edited by Pingaloka on 2013-02-09, 19:13. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 10, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have this card too. I had some kind of address conflict with ET4000W32P VLB on my 486 motherboard, but otherwise a good card. I bought another card from a different company with the same chipset that works perfectly though!

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 8 of 10, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The FM sounds nice on these but I reckon the FX are a little bit weak compared to other (creative) cards I've tried. That and the full sized DB not fitting turned me off.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 9 of 10, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

WEll, I'm getting a 486 soon with a SB16, (I don't know which model though), so I'll compare both of the sound cards + the daughterboard running on each one. Hopefully I'll get the ribbon cable done correctly! 😕

Reply 10 of 10, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In case the SB16 you will get does not meet your expectations:

If you want really nice sound output from an SB16, and are not deterred by the lack of bass/treble control and configuring a PnP card, I can recommend a CT2940 with real Yamaha OPL. I have bought some from this seller and never looked back:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/lot-of-3-Creative-Lab … =item4ac13f3456

You MIGHT have problems with hanging notes if you attach a DB on it. But then again, no SB16 can be your ideal DB carrier.

"Ita in vita ut in lusu alae pessima iactura arte corrigenda est."