VOGONS

Mi future 486...hopefully!

Topic actions

First post, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok guys, I discovered this web short a go.
1 year a go I made myself an Arcade Cabinet.
Now comes my old "new computer" and I'll have a perfect combination for a lot of retro playing! (ummm... or fiddleling around fixing that, changing that, new configurations, reading on the forums about hardware and not actually playing anything at the end of the day!)

So, I'm in the curse of negotiation with a guy here in Spain to buy from him his 486. The guy has even made a video of the system and uploaded it to Yout***

Ok, here are the specs of the "Beast":

-486 DX4 75Mhz
-Graphic Card, Avance Logic alg 2032
-Cd-Rom writable lg 52 32 52
-NIC pci (just rj45, at 100 mbps)
-HDD conner cfs420 (406mb)
-sb16 (don't know the model)
-simm 32mb 72c "kingston"
-msdos 6.2 and win 3.11 with tcp/ip enabled

Price: 40€ (around 53$)

Here is a video of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zw0HShoopNE&feature=youtu.be

What do you guys think of it?

Also in the future (if I get It) I would love to add some things:

1) Change Graphic Card to an S3 Trio64+

2) Change Sound Card to a Yamaha A151-A00 ISA + XR385 Daughterboard

3) Got a GUS MAx for 30€ (around 40$), I have to pick up from my cousin's

4) I want to add a DVD reader where the empty rack is. Is that possible in Ms-DOS? Or maybe add a Coolbox with SC and SD cards. Can that be done?

5) What advantage does Win 3.11 gives you appart from being able to surf the net? (I know that this can be donde on Ms-Dos to)

Hope I get my hands on this baby!

Reply 1 of 80, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think that PCI VGA upgrade can help a lot. Up to the fist Virge, you will have awesome DOS compatibility. A little less with Virge DX and above.

Your sound card expansion plan is also "certified by Vogons" 😀

In my experience, many DVD readers work fine in late gen. PCI 486 motherboards with good EIDE controllers.

There are some Win 3.11 exclusive games and some that are enhanced with special features like higher res. FMV as opposed to the DOS version. (You might need a Realmagic card for some of these.)

If you can set up TCP/IP networking in Win 3.11 for WG, file transfer will be more comfortable.

"Ita in vita ut in lusu alae pessima iactura arte corrigenda est."

Reply 2 of 80, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, the graphic expansion is a must!
I have to check the DVD expansion too.
Drivers will be need I recon.
The good thing is that the guy is selling it to me already got TCP/IP networking enabled in Win 3.11 + file transfer.

Reply 3 of 80, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok update! Just got a S3 Trio64V+ for 10$.
+ I have found a crt monitor 15' in the garbage this morning!
Walking out of house, I see a bunch of crt monitors next to the garbage! 1st reaction. Take all of them home....but, I was with my wife, so I took the one in best shape and works perfectly fine!
Here is a picture of it!

cimg5382.jpg

Something is saying "Build me! Build me! 🤣
getting closer and closer....

Reply 4 of 80, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wow! I'm happy for you, dude 😀

btw, I've got the same CD drive (or very similar). Be careful when placing stuff on top of it, mine is very sensitive to it 😀

Reply 5 of 80, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RacoonRider wrote:

Wow! I'm happy for you, dude 😀

btw, I've got the same CD drive (or very similar). Be careful when placing stuff on top of it, mine is very sensitive to it 😀

Thanx for the advice RacoonRider! I'll keep it in mind!

Reply 8 of 80, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
zstandig wrote:

you would need a usb header for that memory card reader.

thanx zstandig. I will have to look for something else to put in that empty rack then.

Reply 9 of 80, by Hatta

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Since you have a NIC, check out mTCP. You can run an ftp server on your 486, and just ftp in to transfer files. I launch mine with a 3 line batch script.

Also, if you want a bigger hard disk, and you will, you can burn an xtide bios to an eeprom, put it in the socket in the NIC, and it will manage larger disks for you. Combine this with a CF card and CF-IDE adaptor and you have a nice fast quiet system.

Post some speedsys results for us to ogle. 😁

Reply 10 of 80, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Hatta wrote:

Also, if you want a bigger hard disk, and you will, you can burn an xtide bios to an eeprom, put it in the socket in the NIC, and it will manage larger disks for you. Combine this with a CF card and CF-IDE adaptor and you have a nice fast quiet system.

Thanx Hatta, what is the Max size HDD I can add after getting the xtide bios working?

Reply 12 of 80, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Hatta wrote:

Hatta, what's the type of EEPROM I would have to program so I can put it in the NIC socket?

Reply 13 of 80, by mbbrutman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It depends on your version of DOS.

Original DOS versions (5 and 6) support the original FAT16, which limits each partition to 2GB. That includes the extended partition, so basically you can have a drive letter for your primary partition and another drive letter for a logical drive in the extended partition.

There might be later versions of DOS that handle later versions of FAT. (There is the supposed "DOS" that people strip out of Windows 98 and Windows ME. You can also check PC DOS 7 and PC DOS 2000.)

XT-IDE is a wonderful project. The formal XT-IDE is an 8 bit card. However, there is a "universal" BIOS that works with 16 bit interfaces that is ideal for machines with existing IDE interfaces but limited BIOSes. Otherwise, there is always drive overlay software.

Reply 14 of 80, by mbbrutman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Hatta wrote:

Since you have a NIC, check out mTCP. You can run an ftp server on your 486, and just ftp in to transfer files. I launch mine with a 3 line batch script.

And remember, it is not just FTP server ...

- FTP client
- Telnet client
- IRC client
- SNTP (Simple Network Time Protocol) client
- DHCP client
- Netcat

And on this class of machine all of those will work at blazing speed.

(Disclaimer: I'm biased. I'm the author.)

Reply 15 of 80, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mbbrutman wrote:
It depends on your version of DOS. […]
Show full quote

It depends on your version of DOS.

Original DOS versions (5 and 6) support the original FAT16, which limits each partition to 2GB. That includes the extended partition, so basically you can have a drive letter for your primary partition and another drive letter for a logical drive in the extended partition.

There might be later versions of DOS that handle later versions of FAT. (There is the supposed "DOS" that people strip out of Windows 98 and Windows ME. You can also check PC DOS 7 and PC DOS 2000.)

XT-IDE is a wonderful project. The formal XT-IDE is an 8 bit card. However, there is a "universal" BIOS that works with 16 bit interfaces that is ideal for machines with existing IDE interfaces but limited BIOSes. Otherwise, there is always drive overlay software.

So what do you guys recommend? Staying on DOS 6.x would mean I would have to make many partitions, like 10-20? As only 2Gb is possible. Going for the DOS 7.x would allow having FAT32 enabled. Is there compatibily problems with DOS 7.x for games pre-1991 or other? For what I see, most of the people here use DOs 6.x

Reply 16 of 80, by sunaiac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You hardly need 20GB on DOS.
Games were 20-30 megs then 😁

R9 3900X/X470 Taichi/32GB 3600CL15/5700XT AE/Marantz PM7005
i7 980X/R9 290X/X-Fi titanium | FX-57/X1950XTX/Audigy 2ZS
Athlon 1000T Slot A/GeForce 3/AWE64G | K5 PR 200/ET6000/AWE32
Ppro 200 1M/Voodoo 3 2000/AWE 32 | iDX4 100/S3 864 VLB/SB16

Reply 17 of 80, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok guys, hopefully I will get my "new" 486 this week. Meanwhile a little update of new hardware I got for it:

XR385 Daughterboard attached to a Yamaha A151-A00 ISA Sound Card (YMF719E-S Chipset)

94223196.jpg

S3 Trio64+ VGA card

26348128.jpg

Reply 18 of 80, by sunaiac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Errr, isn't the card to short to fit in the isa slot with the XR385 ?

R9 3900X/X470 Taichi/32GB 3600CL15/5700XT AE/Marantz PM7005
i7 980X/R9 290X/X-Fi titanium | FX-57/X1950XTX/Audigy 2ZS
Athlon 1000T Slot A/GeForce 3/AWE64G | K5 PR 200/ET6000/AWE32
Ppro 200 1M/Voodoo 3 2000/AWE 32 | iDX4 100/S3 864 VLB/SB16

Reply 19 of 80, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
sunaiac wrote:

Errr, isn't the card to short to fit in the isa slot with the XR385 ?

Yes I think it will be, I'll have to build a cable so I can connect both.