VOGONS

VOGONS Wiki reference

Topic actions

Reply 120 of 174, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I feel bad for Michael Dale, when the wiki was started, we all wanted to play with it, but now the spree is over and he has to clean up the spambot mess day by day.

Reply 121 of 174, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I feel the only people who look at it are those who work on it. This is why I was hesitant to start a Wiki myself, but Michael stepped in suddenly and opened it up.

The amount of spam is disturbing. Only Michael can get into the server and work on this problem. Otherwise I'd just shut it down because it's a mess right now and people don't seem to care about it anyway.

Reply 122 of 174, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

"Play with it"? I actually thought it would be really cool to have an easily viewable in-depth resource for those topics since wikipedia just sucks for the most part. They may have some good facts, but some of them are false or imprecise and in any case their articles lack the whole user experience/perspective thing.

The page access numbers are actually quite decent for a site that's up for ~1 month, assuming not all of it is due to the bots, but the amount of editors is simply not enough to expand it significantly. I'm still hoping that some competent people will sign up and share their knowledge on there instead in scattered forum posts...

Reply 123 of 174, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote:

Why didn't you do the PowerVR section? You're the resident expert around here.

It actually looks like it was put through a translator then uploaded.

Reply 124 of 174, by Scylla

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mwdmeyer wrote:

Spam has become a major issue, I've deleted all the spam but when I get a chance I will change the settings to manual approval.

I'll ask a very competent programmer I know to take a look at the Vogons Wiki, because I also think it can be a valuable project.

Reply 125 of 174, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Scylla wrote:
mwdmeyer wrote:

Spam has become a major issue, I've deleted all the spam but when I get a chance I will change the settings to manual approval.

I'll ask a very competent programmer I know to take a look at the Vogons Wiki, because I also think it can be a valuable project.

There is so much spam it is really hard to keep track of the regular changes. The most things on the recent changes list are dubious user creation and profile generation.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 126 of 174, by Scylla

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, for a first advice he has recommended forbidding anonymous edits and manual user account approval. I don't know if the registration volume of this forum mades that feasible or even if it's implemented now, however he has promised me to take a look soon into the site.

The web he administers is http://www.elotrolado.net, which has also a wiki, but requires forum login in order to edit.

Reply 127 of 174, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I create all the accounts on VogonsDrivers manually. It only takes a few seconds. I think for the small number of people here, manual activation wouldn't be an issue.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 128 of 174, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Scylla wrote:

Well, for a first advice he has recommended forbidding anonymous edits and manual user account approval. I don't know if the registration volume of this forum mades that feasible or even if it's implemented now, however he has promised me to take a look soon into the site.

The web he administers is http://www.elotrolado.net, which has also a wiki, but requires forum login in order to edit.

Blocking IP addresses of vandals still sounds like a good idea to me.

Reply 129 of 174, by mwdmeyer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The IPs already get blocked whenever I ban/delete a spam user. It doesn't help unfortunately. MediaWiki just gets spammed.

Manual approval is the way to go, just need to switch it on. Anonymous edits etc is switched off already, and users need to approve their email before they can post/edit, so yeah, spam sucks.

Vogons Wiki - http://vogonswiki.com

Reply 130 of 174, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmm, I wonder why you didn't turn it on in the first place then? Should be just one click and would have saved the trouble of deleting all the spam accounts. As for weeding out the legitimate users, well, it's not exactly like there are masses of people queueing up to join 😀

Reply 132 of 174, by mwdmeyer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It seems mediawiki doesn't have a manual approval option.

The only option is for users to now contact me directly so that I can create them an account, a real pain really.

If anyone knows how to set mediawiki for manual approval of user accounts I would love to know.

I must admit mediawiki isn't that good for admins, all the configurations is done manually via a single PHP file and everything needs manually installing certain plugins, there is simply no nice admin panel.

Reply 133 of 174, by mwdmeyer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Okay I've cleaned up most of the spam and I'll need to create the accounts for now.

EDIT: Like everything with Mediawiki manual approve need a plugin! Grrr anyway I'm about to install that now.

Reply 134 of 174, by mwdmeyer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Okay manual approval has been setup.

Wiki Admins please use this page to accept accounts: http://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Special:ConfirmAccounts

Vogons Wiki - http://vogonswiki.com