VOGONS

VOGONS Wiki reference

Topic actions

Reply 100 of 174, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't think anyone should be worried about editing an article if they know for sure they have accurate information that conflicts with what's written. In fact that is part of why I've been whipping up some skeletal articles - it catches the attention of others who know more!

Reply 101 of 174, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vetz wrote:
Putas wrote:
vetz wrote:

NV1 could render triangles.

Not really, triagles are sent to the chip as quads with fourth vertex aligned with one of the three.

Do you have a source for this? The info I have is that it could do it, but at a performance cost. This info would explain the performance hit to some degree. All the information I'm gathering will be from good sources and I will ask one of the previous developers to double check it.

No, I am too lazy to track sources.

Reply 102 of 174, by northernosprey02

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have some reference about vintage HDD, here's the website:
http://redhill.net.au/d/i.php

Can you add them? I am not sure if allowed

Reply 104 of 174, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

It is not shaping like something better then wikipedia article.
Neon250 is a member PowerVR Series 2, the delay was really so big.

Reply 106 of 174, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

GF2 MX100 < GF2 MX200 < GF2 MX < GF2 MX400 < GF2 GTS < GF4 MX440 < GF2 Pro < GF2 Ti < GF2 Ultra

I don't entirely agree with this. The GF4 MX440 easily outperforms a GF2 Pro (and possibly the Ti)... 3DMark 99, 2000 and 2001 results are higher (not tested it with later versions). It can also handle games better at higher resolutions with more eye candy enabled than a GF2 Pro (i know this from personal experience).

😀

Reply 108 of 174, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MrTentacleGuy wrote:

Would it be better to cite Marvin forum postings or more direct links?

I see a general lack of interest in improving the wiki's articles, and likewise a bulk of people contemplating what should be done better 😀

Reply 109 of 174, by MrTentacleGuy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
d1stortion wrote:
MrTentacleGuy wrote:

Would it be better to cite Marvin forum postings or more direct links?

I see a general lack of interest in improving the wiki's articles, and likewise a bulk of people contemplating what should be done better 😀

I meant if I see information that conflicts with answers I've seen in the forum, should I cite the posting that says different or an original source? If and when citing is available.

Reply 110 of 174, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It depends. If what you read in the article still seems plausible I'd add the conflicting information as a "second opinion". Citing sources of whatever kind is of course always welcome, just keep in mind that forum posts are not necessarily the be-all-end-all and there may be possibly other sources that are more knowledgeable. Generally, the more sources, the better.

Reply 111 of 174, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
d1stortion wrote:

I see a general lack of interest in improving the wiki's articles, and likewise a bulk of people contemplating what should be done better :happy:

I personally think the Wiki has come a long way; it requires a certain nestalgic mood and personal free time to dedicate oneself to this cause. It is an enormous task to summarise the past 10 years of forum talk and user experiences into structured essay writing, but the results of this work will help preserve some core retro gaming and hardware knowledge, while also limiting the number of duplicate questions which recirculate in here.

You will always have people who contemplate what should be done and not do it themselves; this is fine. Maybe someone else who sees their comments and has more willpower/freetime will introduce their suggestions. For me, my personality is such that once I get started on something, I cannot stop and I will run at full throttle. This will require a long stretch of free time before I can consider contributing. Sadly, this free time might not be available for awhile.

VOGONS Wiki is a great idea and through the collective efforts of forum members, I think this will work out to be a very comprehensive site. It will always be work in progress...

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 112 of 174, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What I currently observe is that the wiki seems a pretty desolate place so far with only 3 or 4 people making edits, and spambots partying. So right now I don't see a perspective for evolving into a really serious source of information like a lot of wikias. What it needs is, simply put, more editors and publicity in other communities. Just to give an example, a signature link on other forums can go a long way...

Reply 113 of 174, by mwdmeyer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Spam has become a major issue, I've deleted all the spam but when I get a chance I will change the settings to manual approval.

Vogons Wiki - http://vogonswiki.com

Reply 115 of 174, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mwdmeyer wrote:

Spam has become a major issue, I've deleted all the spam but when I get a chance I will change the settings to manual approval.

Can others see what is waiting for approval?

Reply 117 of 174, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As I said earlier the mathematical question during signup should be changed to one that only a human can answer. For instance: Did AMD produce the Pentium MMX? or Which brand did the Voodoo cards come from?

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes