VOGONS Wiki reference

Topic actions

Reply 80 of 174, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
elianda wrote:

I know that in the Wiki also experience with old hardware should be presented. Still I would like to see often a better description for which specific cases this experience is true. Currently a lot of facts are presented as general rules which is mostly not true. Some paragraphs might be as well from marketing journals instead of personal experience reports. Please take a bit more care and specifically limit facts to the corresponding hardware config or operating system.

Just to give an example, currently for the mainboards the general recommendation is to use the fastest CPU possible. I don't think this is helpful for readers as it should be more diversified e.g. by looking at different fictious user profiles.
Just to give an opposing example: When using socket 7 for DOS, plugging a P233MMX is a bad idea when playing games with iMuse sound system as it will not work anymore, while on a P166MMX it does.

I agree that most of the explanations need to be more complex, but I find your statements a bit contradicting too. For example, on the 3dfx article you remarked that I should have left out the TV from V3 3500 TV, because that wouldn't be of any concern for the (quite arbitrary) target group. What the particular reader wants is unknown to the author and that is part of the problem.

I think that one should either go for an as complete as possible hardware gallery type of thing with all facts and facettes imaginable, but that has the negative effect of a lot of text, which may put some people off. The other way to do it would be just to break it down into practical experiences with only minimal information that could be potentially seen as trivial. I personally find it hard to draw a line which information to include and which not, so everything in between those two is hard to pull off if one takes your criticism seriously.

Reply 81 of 174, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In my view, when a wiki is writing about what is 'best', it is going wrong. Best is undefined. An encyclopedia could say 'most people prefer that setup', and only when it can actually substantiate that.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 82 of 174, by mwdmeyer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Guys it is a wiki, if you don't like the content then fix it, don't be lazy and just bitch about it...

Vogons Wiki - http://vogonswiki.com

Reply 83 of 174, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mwdmeyer wrote:

Guys it is a wiki, if you don't like the content then fix it, don't be lazy and just bitch about it...

Better is to add extra content instead of fixing it. What one might see as a fix, another one might see it as someone breaking it

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 84 of 174, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think if you're going to do the wiki right, it should be checked for fanboy bias occasionally. Having an nVidia or ATi fanboy (or PC vs Mac or whatever other rivalry you can think of) logging in and making changes to articles to push their personal viewpoint about which is "best" is only going to hurt the credibility of the wiki. Logging and blocking IP addresses to stop persistent vandals from making changes may also be necessary.

Reply 85 of 174, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Of course.

I think most of us will quickly pick up on it but I'm not sure how likely it is to get somebody writing totally baseless nonsense about ancient hardware.

Reply 86 of 174, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
swaaye wrote:

Of course.

I think most of us will quickly pick up on it but I'm not sure how likely it is to get somebody writing totally baseless nonsense about ancient hardware.

Some people will do it out of spite. Like spraying graffiti on a freshly painted wall.

Reply 87 of 174, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sliderider wrote:
swaaye wrote:

Of course.

Some people will do it out of spite. Like spraying graffiti on a freshly painted wall.

Best would be to avoid having people doing such things being able to write on the wiki.

But anyway, since I can't confirm my email adress (due to MS suddenly wanting my phone number), I haven't been writing on the wiki ever since the email thingy was instated 😢

Report spammers here!

Reply 89 of 174, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mwdmeyer wrote:

Tetrium try now, I think I worked it out!

Yes, apparently it's working again! Thanks! 😁

Edit:Oops, apparently it still wants me to confirm my emailadress

Edit2:I saw that I was added to a few other groups and I tried logging out and in, changing my emailadress to the same emailadress (perhaps this resets something was my thought) but it still won't let me edit any pages. I'll keep trying though and figure something out.

Edit3:I tried deleting my emailadress and reapplying that same emailadress, but no go.
In my preferences it mentions I'm emailconfirmed, but on the botten at "E-mail confirmation" it still sais "Your e-mail address is not yet authenticated. No e-mail will be sent for any of the following features." and I can't edit any existing pages.

I don't know what's wrong.

Report spammers here!

Reply 91 of 174, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It working for real this time!

Thanks a lot! 😁

Report spammers here!

Reply 92 of 174, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've knocked up a quick way to link to a VogonsDrivers file. Simply whack this into your page:

{{Driverlink|123}}

Where 123 is the fileid of the driver you want to link to.

Today I'll try to make it so that it pulls in the name of the driver too, at the moment is just shows the text "VogonsDrivers Link".

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 95 of 174, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have a suggestion: Would it be feasible to create a vogons wiki subforum so all of us could discuss about the wiki articles and post suggestions about the articles? Discussing about the wiki in this thread and in the talk pages (particularly when 2 people disagree with eachother) could get pretty crowded pretty quickly.
It could also be handy when it comes to people suggesting certain threads with useful info.

Just a minor suggestion though!

Report spammers here!

Reply 96 of 174, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I agree with creating a subforum for discussion is a good idea. I noticed a minor disagreement on the NV1 article. It says that the QTM is the same rendering technique as used on the Sega Saturn. That is not correct. The Saturn used quad polygons (instead of triangle polygons). The NV1 could render triangles, quads and QTMs. No games released use the QTM technique, which was its design strenght. The ported Sega Saturn games used the quad rendering. The other games use triangles. I'm working on a video review of the NV1 which will include this information (and much more).

Last edited by vetz on 2013-02-22, 11:07. Edited 1 time in total.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 97 of 174, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Mediawiki allows to create a "Discussion" page for each article. The link is in the upper left corner of any article page. This would be the best place to discuss article content.

Reply 99 of 174, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Putas wrote:
vetz wrote:

NV1 could render triangles.

Not really, triagles are sent to the chip as quads with fourth vertex aligned with one of the three.

Do you have a source for this? The info I have is that it could do it, but at a performance cost. This info would explain the performance hit to some degree. All the information I'm gathering will be from good sources and I will ask one of the previous developers to double check it.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes