VOGONS

First post, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm currently thinking about buying an old Compaq Presario 1622 laptop off someone from another forum. I've asked him to check how the screen handles gaming as i used to have an even older Compaq laptop and the screen suffered from extreme motion blur and big black borders when it came to gaming 😒.

This laptop has been described as perfect condition with absolutely no marks on it whatsoever... But the battery has long since died (not a problem for me though). I think the asking price of £25 + shipping sounds good and the specs appear good enough for some retro gaming on the sofa 😀.

*Pentium 233MHz MMX
*32Mb PC66 SDRAM
*3.2Gb HDD
*12.1" HDA display
*ESS 1869/1887/1888 audio (pretty sure it's SB Pro compatible)
*2Mb 128-bit graphics with 3D and MPEG video acceleration (apparently)... Not sure what chip it is yet?
*20X CD drive
*Windows 95b
*JBL pro audio speakers with bass reflex (sounds interesting for an old laptop)

What do you guys think?

2lscxtl.jpg

Last edited by PowerPie5000 on 2013-02-24, 16:46. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 7, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
d1stortion wrote:

Why not? Looks pretty decent. Just don't expect anything from the screen that it can't accomplish 😀

I'll most likely go for it as it's a nice clean example 😀. I'm not expecting the screen to handle high resolutions or high refresh rates, i just don't want it to have serious 'streaking' or big black borders when gaming. I'm pretty sure the ESS audio chip will be fine for DOS gaming (SB Pro compatible iirc?).

Reply 3 of 7, by Aideka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had an Compaq desktop with ESS 1869 audiochip onboard, it was SBPro compatible with all games i played on that machine. Only problem might be the NeoMagic 2160 display adapter it seems to have, I am not sure about that exact model, but in general NeoMagic is bad news afaik.

8zszli-6.png

Reply 4 of 7, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Aideka wrote:

I had an Compaq desktop with ESS 1869 audiochip onboard, it was SBPro compatible with all games i played on that machine. Only problem might be the NeoMagic 2160 display adapter it seems to have, I am not sure about that exact model, but in general NeoMagic is bad news afaik.

I think it does use the Neomagic 2160 graphics chip (MagicGraph 128XD). It should be fine if it can run DOS and old Windows games comfortably... I won't be running any D3D or OpenGL stuff on this 😉.

Reply 5 of 7, by Aideka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have an old IBM Thinkpad 380ED laptop myself, it is equipped with MagicGraph 128ZV graphics. Most dos games i have tried work pretty well, then again I have mostly played Doom and Legend Of Kyrandia with it. Some resolutions just plain simply do not seem to work with that chip, i remember trying to get some nes emulators running, and had quite a time setting up the resolution. I think it might do better in old windows games tho, never really tried 😜

I guess in the end it depends on games you would be running with the machine, i think mode x games are a no go with that graphics chip... unless NeoMagic decided to go and really make their chips better 😜

8zszli-6.png

Reply 7 of 7, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I received the laptop today and it's in absolutely pristine condition! It actually looks unused with not a sign of wear to be seen at all 😀. The screen on the other hand is no good when it comes to fast paced games (too much motion blur)... But i kind of expected that considering it's a 16-17 year old laptop and LCD pixel response times were at an all time low back then 🤣... Should be ok with classic adventure and RPG games though 😀.