VOGONS

First post, by bigskymusiclover

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am looking to install a Voodoo card in my Compaq P1 233MMX system, wasn't the V2 to new or to fast for that system. I am thinking the V2 is more at home in P II systems?

Reply 1 of 8, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, a PII is a better match for the V2, but I don't see why you shouldn't install it on a P1 233MMX. You'll probably be getting 30fps on most games at 800x600 which is good enough for most people 😀.

Reply 2 of 8, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Unreal is even quite choppy with a PII 350 (second-fastest CPU at its release), but any game older than that should do well on your PC...

Last edited by d1stortion on 2013-02-25, 15:54. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 8, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The increased resolution is great for many games with that CPU. Also it is a bit more quicker than the Voodoo 1 in certain games. Descent with 3DFX patch comes to mind.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 5 of 8, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
d1stortion wrote:

Unreal is even quite choppy with a PII 350 (second-fastest CPU at its release), but any game older than that should do well on your PC...

That depends on your definition of choppy. I'll admit I've become a bit spoiled nowadays with insane resolutions and AA settings and fps of 40 and upwards. I used to play Unreal on a PII 233 at 1024x768 with my V2 cards. Framerate must have been around 30, I think the drops never go any lower than 22, so for the most part it is quite constant. I think one who's not as spoiled as me will get to enjoy the game like that 😀.

Reply 6 of 8, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

They say that Voodoo 1 is too fast for a Pentium! It still never hurts to play at better resolution. Even pairing up two Voodoo 2s in SLI is useful since that allows 1024x768 😀

Reply 7 of 8, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well the standards back then were lower of course. I already get something like 33 as min FPS for the not exactly intense opening flyby in Unreal (PIII 900, V3) though.

The problem for me personally is that depending on the game, the mouse can get really laggy with low framerates, which was the reason I found UT3 to be unplayable on my X1950 Pro, despite its average 30-40 or so FPS. And on that note, Unreal has the distinction of having laggy mouse movement regardless of framerate for me 🤣

Reply 8 of 8, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've run a V2 with a 233MMX. It's a nice pair for 1997 games like NFS2 and Quake II, but the MMX runs out of breath way before the V2 does, so 1998 titles like UT, HL, NFS:HP, etc will be laggy. So, it's ok to use, but it takes a stronger cpu to get the best out of a V2.