VOGONS

Powerleap slot-1 adapter

Topic actions

First post, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Are the Powerleap adapters generally reliable? I'm thinking about going all out with my Win98se PIII rig and was thinking about getting a powerleap slot-1 to 370 adapter with a 1.4GHz Tualatin Celeron (should be a noticeable improvement over my 850MHz PIII)... I would go for a 1.4GHz Tualatin PIII, but it think they only run at full speed with a 133FSB (my SE440BX2 board supports 100FSB max).

How much of a performance gain will i get? and do they have any stability issues? I already know they are compatible with Intel SE440BX/2/3 boards. Hopefully it'll also boost the performance of my V5 5500 a bit (if i keep it that is) 😀.

Reply 1 of 33, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

its a crap shoot. The more reliable brands of motherboards will work. That said, adapters are NEVER a good idea. In reality you are better off getting a tualatin native board. keep in mind, 440 class motherboards were NEVER designed for 133fsb. 95% worked at that speed and many many companies took advantage of it, but still my advice is to find a tualatin native board.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 2 of 33, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The celeron tualatins with 256kB L2 cache are designed for a 100MHz bus and have the higher multipliers, if that is what you want.
I have three systems with tualatins on adapters, and they are totally reliable AFAIK. A native tualatin mainboard means either no ISA slots or a VIA chipset.

Last edited by gerwin on 2013-02-26, 21:14. Edited 1 time in total.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 3 of 33, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:

its a crap shoot. The more reliable brands of motherboards will work. That said, adapters are NEVER a good idea. In reality you are better off getting a tualatin native board. keep in mind, 440 class motherboards were NEVER designed for 133fsb. 95% worked at that speed and many many companies took advantage of it, but still my advice is to find a tualatin native board.

I think i'd consider Intel as a reliable brand (my board has been solid for years!)... The adapter comes with a 1.4GHz Celeron with 100fsb and it's own power circuitry and jumpers etc. I don't want to lose ISA slots, the SB-Link connector or use a VIA chipset... Seems the Powerleap is the only way forward 😎.

gerwin wrote:

The celeron tualatins with 256kB L2 cache are designed for a 100MHz bus and have the higher multipliers, if that is what you want.
I have three systems with tualatins on adapters, and they are totaly reliable AFAIK. A native tualatin mainboard means either no ISA slots or a VIA chipset.

The Powerleap adapter i'll be getting comes wth a 1.4GHz Tualatin Celeron (100fsb). I definitely can't be bothered tracking down a native Tualatin 370 board and lose features! One thing i love about my 440BX board is it's ability to support full DOS audio through the SB-Link connector on the board... It connects to my Yamaha PCI sound card and works very well 😀. Plus my Intel SE440BX2 board has been 100% reliable for years and i don't want to risk getting a duff board (i hate VIA chipsets too!).

Powerleap is the only way to boost my Win98 PC, i just wanted to hear some opinions from anyone that uses them. It should be ok since they list the SE440BX2 board as being compatible 😀.

Reply 4 of 33, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I upgraded a friend's computer back in 2002 with a Powerleap slot 1 - to - Tualatin Celeron adapter. We used a 1.4 GHz CPU in there. I think it was originally some Dell motherboard running at 400 MHz. The performance gain was incredible, and everything seemed to work fine while I was there. He later told me that the system would freeze-up after about 1 week of up-time. He said it never did this before. He eventually bought a new computer.

I would have to agree with luckybob on this one,

adapters are NEVER a good idea. In reality you are better off getting a tualatin native board.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 5 of 33, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm using both the ways of getting Tualatin support in 440BX. I have a Powerleap and the pinmodded Tualatin. Both works fine. I prefer the pinmodded though as the Powerleap fan is a bit noisy. Never seen any instability.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 6 of 33, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I used a Powerleap adapter in my Abit BF6 (BX chipset). I had similar experience to feipoa's friend....though the crashes were more more like every other day. To be fair, I was using the V1.0 version of the adapter with a Celeron 1200. The V2.0 adapters may be a little better.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 7 of 33, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vetz wrote:

I'm using both the ways of getting Tualatin support in 440BX. I have a Powerleap and the pinmodded Tualatin. Both works fine. I prefer the pinmodded though as the Powerleap fan is a bit noisy. Never seen any instability.

Same experience here with a pinmodded Tually in i440BX, surprisingly stable even OCed beyond FSB133.

Let the air flow!

Reply 9 of 33, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Anonymous Coward wrote:

I used a Powerleap adapter in my Abit BF6 (BX chipset). I had similar experience to feipoa's friend....though the crashes were more more like every other day.

The worst uptime was 2 days, and the best around 5 days. Powerleap had quality control issues with their slocket fans, so perhaps the fan was failing and the CPU overheating. Perhaps those users who claim stable performance are not using the Powerleap fans, or they are not going for a long uptime.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 11 of 33, by citronalco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Had a Powerleap Slot-T adapter in my home server. CPU was a 1.4 GHz Tualatin Celeron, the board a Fujitsu Siemens D1107 (BX chipset). CPU got detected as "Pentium Pro 1399 MHz".

It was running 24x7 for about 8 years until I finally replaced it last year. I can't remember a single crash that was not caused by some other stuff like harddisk full or power failure. It was rock solid.

Reply 12 of 33, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Powerleap model i'll be receiving is the 'PL-iP3/T' and it's the final/last version made in 2003 according to the seller... I'm hoping it should be reliable enough 😀. Now i just need to source some double sided 256MB PC100 dimms as i found out the hard way that my board doesn't like single sided dimms over 128MB 😒.

Reply 13 of 33, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So, does anyone know if a 1.4GHz Tualatin Celeron will be a noticeable improvement over my current 850MHz Coppermine PIII? Both run on a 100 FSB and use PC100 SDRAM.

Reply 17 of 33, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
F2bnp wrote:

Yes, there is noticeable improvement, depending on the game and videocard you're using. If you're using a GeForce 4 Ti or MX you'll be good with that CPU for games until mid 2002.

That's good to hear... So basically this setup is good to go for all Win98 games, and hopefully i can run them all maxed out with FSAA too 😀.

Reply 18 of 33, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Eh, no for FSAA. I'm running a Tualatin 1266 at 1333 with a Ti4200 and depending on the game FSAA can be slow.
Dungeon Keeper 2 for example with FSAA 4x and Anisotropic 8x or 16x is kinda slow at 1024x768, I certainly didn't enjoy it that way. Went with Quincunx Antialiasing instead. You'd probably have to go with a powerful GeForce FX card in order to keep good framerates with AA and it really depends on the game you want to play.

Reply 19 of 33, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
F2bnp wrote:

Eh, no for FSAA. I'm running a Tualatin 1266 at 1333 with a Ti4200 and depending on the game FSAA can be slow.
Dungeon Keeper 2 for example with FSAA 4x and Anisotropic 8x or 16x is kinda slow at 1024x768, I certainly didn't enjoy it that way. Went with Quincunx Antialiasing instead. You'd probably have to go with a powerful GeForce FX card in order to keep good framerates with AA and it really depends on the game you want to play.

Well, at least it should be able to run all Win98 era games comfortably maxed out without FSAA then :happy... I'm not counting the games that were also designed for XP (so i'm thinking pre-2002 games).