VOGONS

Games that don't run properly on faster CPUs

Topic actions

First post, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I thought of creating this article in the wiki, but I need some suggestions, since I don't know too many so far. I know a lot of/most old CGA games need a 8088 4.77 MHz, but I'm talking newer than that, because since the 386 era, most games seem to play right on much faster CPUs than what was common at their release. Therefore, I'd like to limit it to roughly 1990+ for the most part.

Only original releases, no source ports. If a game has patches which enable it to run with faster CPUs it should be noted. The ones that I know of are Descent (runs too fast), Descent 2 (mouse sensitivity bug on high framerates) and for Windows games Wipeout XL aka 2097 (supposedly has a patch which fixes it though). Jazz Jackrabbit needs the TPPATCH utility and runs fine with that.

Wiki article: http://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/List_of_C … sensitive_games

Last edited by d1stortion on 2013-05-10, 06:47. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 141, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

These are the games i remember off the top of my head (i know there's probably plenty more!):

Toonstruck (speed bug with one or two puzzles)
Theme Park (too fast overall)
Kings quest 7 (speed bug with one or two puzzles)

EDIT:... Outlaws used to run way too fast with my PIII rig, but now it's mysteriously running fine 😮.

Last edited by PowerPie5000 on 2013-03-03, 22:51. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 141, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
d1stortion wrote:

Outlaws?? Like, the LucasArts FPS? That played even fine on a modern rig with software rendering iirc...

It runs like lightning on my 850MHz PIII rig (software mode) so it would be interesting to see how fast it runs with my i5 3570k (if it works at all) 🤣... I have the original big box release so maybe it just needs patching.

Reply 7 of 141, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Are you trolling or what? Looking at your registration date, one should think you would know better. There exist 386 games that will run too fast on 486 CPUs and so on and that is what this thread is for.

Reply 8 of 141, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It seems to run ok on my Compaq Presario laptop (P233 MMX, 32MB RAM, 2MB MagicGraph 128XD, ESS audio and Win95c)... But i don't like the screen much (too much motion blur).

Reply 9 of 141, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Space Quest IV - any time a sequel police is on the screen

PowerPie5000 wrote:
d1stortion wrote:

Outlaws?? Like, the LucasArts FPS? That played even fine on a modern rig with software rendering iirc...

It runs like lightning on my 850MHz PIII rig (software mode) so it would be interesting to see how fast it runs with my i5 3570k (if it works at all) 🤣... I have the original big box release so maybe it just needs patching.

Even the original release runs fine here with 3ghz.

What the heck is going on

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 10 of 141, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote:
PowerPie5000 wrote:
d1stortion wrote:

Even the original release runs fine here with 3ghz. What the heck is going on

vsync?

Reply 12 of 141, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:
Space Quest IV - any time a sequel police is on the screen […]
Show full quote

Space Quest IV - any time a sequel police is on the screen

PowerPie5000 wrote:
d1stortion wrote:

Even the original release runs fine here with 3ghz.

What the heck is going on

I gave it another go and it's now running fine on my PIII 😕, although i've changed the graphics card a few times since i last played it! I think it ran way too quick on my ATI Rage Fury Maxx if i remember (it was some time ago) .

Anyway, i can knock that one of the list 😀

Reply 14 of 141, by j^aws

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Off the top of my head: Wing Commander, Ultima 7 and Zool. Maybe Micro Machines 2 SE, though, IIRC, that one seemed to work okay with specific fast CPU/ FSB options...

Reply 15 of 141, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Double Dragon 1 will lock up before entering the final confrontation and player 2 will have fewer moves if run on anything above than XT.

Reply 16 of 141, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Syndicate crashes for me with a fast CPU (P75 133 and Pentium 166 MMX tested) when using a sound blaster (tried various creative cards). Anyone else every had that issue? It makes a loud sound like breaking glass and then freezes - quite scary the first time it happened!

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 17 of 141, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sound with Day of the Tentacle doesn't work on a fast CPU >P166MMX properly anymore, probably other iMuse based games too.
I also have problems with Monkey Island with Roland MT-32 sound on fast CPUs, it's completely garbled.
Hi Octane has a speed problem.
Maniac Mansion and Zak McKracken have a problem as soon as there is a timed riddle (like after flushing the pool water)
Unreal / Unreal Tournament has a problem on very fast systems where the actor begins to slide (rounding errors?)
Lemmings the Tribes requires a HDD smaller than 504 MB or the copy protection checksum calculated by the installer is wrong.
Warlords2/Warlords2 Deluxe crashed on startup when the PC is too fast.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 18 of 141, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sliding players in UT have nothing to do with CPU speed, but with flawed S3TC textures. It can be fixed by not using some of those textures and patching the others, see here.

UT has a major problem with power saving techniques like Cool'n'Quiet though.

Reply 19 of 141, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

FIFA 2002 - ctd on fast CPUs (1,5 GHz is fine, 3 GHz - ctd).

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).