VOGONS

Games that don't run properly on faster CPUs

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 141, by fillosaurus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Warcraft 2; even on a P II it scrolls too fast.
Space Quest 4; Star Control 2;
and some others that I do not remember now.

Y2K box: AMD Athlon K75 (second generation slot A)@700, ASUS K7M motherboard, 256 MB SDRAM, ATI Radeon 7500+2xVoodoo2 in SLI, SB Live! 5.1, VIA USB 2.0 PCI card, 40 GB Seagate HDD.
WIP: external midi module based on NEC wavetable (Yamaha clone)

Reply 21 of 141, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
elianda wrote:

Sound with Day of the Tentacle doesn't work on a fast CPU >P166MMX properly anymore, probably other iMuse based games too.
I also have problems with Monkey Island with Roland MT-32 sound on fast CPUs, it's completely garbled.

I have no issues at all with DOTT or any of the Monkey Island games with a fast PC (even with Roland or general midi sound). I also have no issues with The Dig or Full Throttle (not sure if they were ever affected by fast CPUs?).

elianda wrote:

Maniac Mansion and Zak McKracken have a problem as soon as there is a timed riddle (like after flushing the pool water)

I've not tried these games on a fast PC, but i know the original Maniac Mansion is included with DOTT so i might give it a try sometime 😀.

Reply 22 of 141, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Seriously, for DOS games we have DOSBox. So - please add Windows games only.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 23 of 141, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gamecollector wrote:

Not everyone likes to use only DosBox though 😉. I'm also pretty sure the majority (if not all) of 'Windows only' games didn't suffer with speed issues on faster hardware.

Reply 24 of 141, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmofo wrote:

Syndicate crashes for me with a fast CPU (P75 133 and Pentium 166 MMX tested) when using a sound blaster (tried various creative cards). Anyone else every had that issue? It makes a loud sound like breaking glass and then freezes - quite scary the first time it happened!

Hmm... I think I used to play it properly on P90 (the "bugged" version); but i did not have sound as the sound didnt work properly on my Opti MaD 16 pro. Also, playing syndicate on a fast computer (or a Dosbox w/full cycles) makes the game incredibly lame. Even with low taxes you get money so fast and research that fast that you could probably get all techs you want within 5 minutes of waiting with 2-3 territories having miniguns at mission 2. Lameness infinitus 😜

On 486 DX2 40 You'd need to own 3/4 of the world by the time you research the tech tree completely.

@topic
Bubble bobble refused to run on Pentium, but I read here on forum that disabling the cache resolves the issue. Other that that, Skyroads also required a slower computer otherwise the game is too fast.
Then, there was a game (I forgot the name) where u are a bird jumping on some boxes arranged in a pyramid fashion and the point was to jump on all boxes; that game was also speed-sensitive.

Edit: J-bird 😀

Reply 26 of 141, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gamecollector wrote:

I thought I already addressed this ffs... maybe you guys should read the description of the Marvin subforum 🙄

Reply 27 of 141, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sega Rally Championship with Direct3D patch requires slowdown utilites to run properly. Not sure if the same counts for the software version.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 28 of 141, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
d1stortion wrote:

Sliding players in UT have nothing to do with CPU speed, but with flawed S3TC textures. It can be fixed by not using some of those textures and patching the others, see here.

UT has a major problem with power saving techniques like Cool'n'Quiet though.

I was talking about the standard Unreal / UT. No fancy texture packs, not even S3TC textures.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 30 of 141, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Another gem - Guts 'n' Garters in DNA Danger. Too fast in P4 3.00E/XpSp3 combo. Maybe this is the Xp problem, not the fast CPU problem.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 31 of 141, by bucket

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Does Quake count? It's a DOS game designed with Windows in mind. I don't know if anyone else gets this, but my P2 400MHz laptop produces a weird speed issue. The best way I can describe it is intermittently hitting the run key.

Reply 33 of 141, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bucket wrote:

Does Quake count? It's a DOS game designed with Windows in mind. I don't know if anyone else gets this, but my P2 400MHz laptop produces a weird speed issue. The best way I can describe it is intermittently hitting the run key.

You mean like the speed fluctuates horribly? I get this, but only in Windows. When I run it from DOS prompt it runs great even in 1024x768.

Reply 34 of 141, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bucket wrote:

Quake runs quite well on my 233MHz Pentium MMX laptop, but it can make me a bit nauseous as the screens suffers from lots of motion blur/ghosting with fast games 😒. What's the screen like with your PII 400MHz laptop?

Reply 35 of 141, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PowerPie5000 wrote:
bucket wrote:

Quake runs quite well on my 233MHz Pentium MMX laptop, but it can make me a bit nauseous as the screens suffers from lots of motion blur/ghosting with fast games 😒. What's the screen like with your PII 400MHz laptop?

I see you posting this for the 3rd or 4th time now 🤣 what did you expect from a 90s laptop screen? Even desktop LCD screens from that time were shit.

Reply 36 of 141, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vetz wrote:

Sega Rally Championship with Direct3D patch requires slowdown utilites to run properly. Not sure if the same counts for the software version.

Your patch had no speed problems here. System is a Quad 2 Core Q9650 with a 460GTX. The software version keeps alternating the speed, which makes it very annoying.

Reply 37 of 141, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gamecollector wrote:

Another gem - Guts 'n' Garters in DNA Danger. Too fast in P4 3.00E/XpSp3 combo. Maybe this is the Xp problem, not the fast CPU problem.

Um... is this supposed to be a DOS or Windows game? Gets listed everywhere as DOS...

Reply 38 of 141, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
d1stortion wrote:
PowerPie5000 wrote:
bucket wrote:

I see you posting this for the 3rd or 4th time now 🤣 what did you expect from a 90s laptop screen? Even desktop LCD screens from that time were shit.

It is what i expect from a 16-17 year old laptop screen, i never said it wasn't 😜... I'm sure i've only mentioned it a couple of times, but who's counting? oh wait, you are 😒.

Reply 39 of 141, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Jane's US Navy Fighters 97 runs too fast even on my old Celeron laptop - you need to increase the resolution to 1024x768 to get manageable speed. Fortunately, Jane's Fighters Anthology doesn't have such issues.

Hi-Octane also seems to be clockspeed-sensitive. It runs choppy on my old Pentium 100, yet it runs unmanageably fast on the said laptop above. By the way, I tried to run it using VDMSound instead of DOSBOX. The game mostly doesn't run (it exists into Windows after you start a race), but it runs sometimes. And when it does, it's unmanageably fast.

By the way, Hi-Octane is the most perplexing game I've ever tried. Even in DOSBOX, it mostly quits to DOS until I start a race.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.