VOGONS

Win98 and XP-era gaming laptops

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 26, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Mobility Radeon 7500 is similar to (or even the same chip as) the desktop Radeon 7500 with lower memory clock and slightly lower core clock.
The Geforce2 Go is based on a Geforce2 MX with a lower clock and the same memory clock.
So the Radeon should be a lot faster that the Geforce.
Confirmed in this article (which incidentally benchmarked an Inspiron 8100 once with a Geforce2 Go 32 MB and once with a Radeon 7500 64MB).

Even 16 MB vram should be ok. When I played Pod Racer I had a Rendition card with 8 MB and the game ran fine.

Reply 23 of 26, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cdoublejj wrote:

"Radeon 7500 64MB"

HOLY CRAP, talk about getting your game on.

I'm sorry but I'm not sure what that idiom exactly means, especially in this context.
Could you elaborate? Or could some other native speaker explain this?

Reply 25 of 26, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
idspispopd wrote:
cdoublejj wrote:

"Radeon 7500 64MB"

HOLY CRAP, talk about getting your game on.

I'm sorry but I'm not sure what that idiom exactly means, especially in this context.
Could you elaborate? Or could some other native speaker explain this?

leileilol wrote:

It means it's overkill, as the Radeon 7500 was generally considered faster than the Geforce2 GTS when it came out in 2001.

On top of that, 64 mega bytes is a lot more video ram to work with than 16mb. I can BARLEY get GTA Vice City to play on 16mb vram but, if i had 64mega bytes.... oh the games i oculd play and and graphics settings i could run them at, so much better than what I have.

Reply 26 of 26, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If those GTA3/GTAVC/GTASA games actually supported paletted texturing extensions (instead of converting ALL THEIR PALETTED TEXTURES TO 32-BIT on first load) that wouldn't have been a problem 😀

Also don't count on GTA3 running well on a Radeon 7500. That is overdraw mania older cards really hated. GTAVC fortunately fixed most of that, leaving the overdraw issues to happen mostly in explosions and pole positions. GTAVC is very playable on Geforce2 and Radeon7500. GTA3? Get a GF6, X800 or something great to compensate for technical incompetence. That game even choked Geforce3s then too. A Voodoo2-era looking game running like crap in 2002 is a strange case of failed optimization.

I should also mention you need to have the framerate limited for the gameplay to work properly. I always hated DMA Design's insistence to strictly operate everything around 25-30hz for every game they made since Menace. Therefore, to get the proper, as intended gameplay balance (seriously the framerate can affect the spawning of cars, the draw distance pop-in, the stream caching and even police AI) you'll have to deal with the 30hz.

apsosig.png
long live PCem