VOGONS

Willamette performance?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 27, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Heh, in this summer '05 exercise The Tech Report pitted Pentium-M (via socket adapter) against Northwood/Preshott P4s.

A Pentium-M 2.16 was au pair with the 'mighty' Pentium 4 Extreme Edition 3.4GHz 😁 , while a Pentium-M 2.57 trounced any P4 in sight 🤣 :

ut2004.gif

doom3.gif

farcry.gif

So much for Netburst.

Let the air flow!

Reply 21 of 27, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Pentium 4's problem is its power consumption at the highest grades. Physics didn't work out for the architecture.

90nm Pentium M is definitely at its clock scaling limit at 2.5 GHz. They typically won't go much beyond 2.2 GHz unless you pump a lot of extra voltage in. This is probably why they weren't put out onto the desktop market. Core Duo is similar. They can't compete well with Athlon 64.

Reply 23 of 27, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Pentium M was awesome. Back in the day, there were a few guys on the Atomic forums that ran Pentium M's in one of the scant few desktop boards available. The SuperPi scores were miles ahead of the P4's.

Of course, Pentium M was the forerunner to the Core architecture. Netburst was all but scrapped.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 24 of 27, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

SuperPi's algorithm is sensitive to some CPU features. It's not really a indicator of overall performance. Pentium M has some kind of loop caching mechanism AFAIK. Newer Intel CPUs do too.

Pentium M has weakness in its x87 and SSE2 performance compared to Pentium4 and Athlon64. SSE is actually recommended over SSE2 on Pentium M, but SSE isn't as useful.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/1399/9
3268.png
3271.png

Reply 25 of 27, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
swaaye wrote:

Pentium 4's problem is its power consumption at the highest grades. Physics didn't work out for the architecture.

90nm Pentium M is definitely at its clock scaling limit at 2.5 GHz. They typically won't go much beyond 2.2 GHz unless you pump a lot of extra voltage in. This is probably why they weren't put out onto the desktop market. Core Duo is similar. They can't compete well with Athlon 64.

My PM 745 (1.8GHz/400) has no problem running at 2.4/533 at stock voltage. It's on an MSI speedster i915 based motherboard.

At that speed, it outperforms my A64 3500 (2.2GHz) across the board (and sometimes by a LOT). Now, the PM runs Win7 while the A64 is still stuck on XP, so W7 may be giving the PM a boost.

Of course, I haven't tried running pure x87 apps/benchmarks on either of the machines, but SSE2 certainly doesn't seem to be holding the PM back.

Reply 26 of 27, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Standard Def Steve wrote:
My PM 745 (1.8GHz/400) has no problem running at 2.4/533 at stock voltage. It's on an MSI speedster i915 based motherboard. […]
Show full quote
swaaye wrote:

My PM 745 (1.8GHz/400) has no problem running at 2.4/533 at stock voltage. It's on an MSI speedster i915 based motherboard.

At that speed, it outperforms my A64 3500 (2.2GHz) across the board (and sometimes by a LOT). Now, the PM runs Win7 while the A64 is still stuck on XP, so W7 may be giving the PM a boost.

Of course, I haven't tried running pure x87 apps/benchmarks on either of the machines, but SSE2 certainly doesn't seem to be holding the PM back.

I agree and am using a pm 780 in my dell inspiron 9300. Compared to newer machines it holds its own and outruns just about any Atom and AMD C/E series machine that I have tested. Got a pm 770 and a 740 just collecting dust 😒

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 27 of 27, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I had a Inspiron 9300 myself. The notebookforums.com forum had some research on the overclocks people were getting with the 400->533 FSB socketmod. I ended up needing a slight voltage bump to keep my 1.6 @ 2.13GHz from BSODing occasionally, mainly when the notebook heated up during gaming and the CPU was at its hottest.

I also did the BIOS mod to run the GeForce 7800 Go GTX in it.

The CPU became quite the bottleneck for me though. I am into Supreme Commander and that isn't really playable on a single CPU. Oblivion was also a bit too much for the Pentium M 2.13 GHz. Not to say that a P4 or Athlon 64 would be better of course. It would have been better to have a Core Duo though. The big switch to SATA was also 2006.