VOGONS

First post, by pyrogx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Does anyone know the difference between an IDE harddisk and a so-called "AT bus" harddisk? Is there any difference at all? I already searched the web but could not find a definitive (or consistent) answer. Some say it's the same thing, some say it isn't but do not explain why.

Reply 1 of 5, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

IDE refers to a particular type of hard drive interface. The drive has the hard disk controller on it, and a card only provides a stripped down portion of the 16-bit ISA connector for the ribbon cable. Since the IBM PC AT was the first computer to use a 16-bit ISA connector (originally referred to as the AT bus), thats where the term comes from. (Compare the 8-bit ISA connector, originally referred to as the XT bus, from the IBM PC/XT). So in almost case the two terms are synonymous. However, if your hard disk requires a different type of 16-bit ISA interface card, like SCSI or MFM/RLL, that could still be called an AT bus hard disk.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 3 of 5, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well for AT compatible hard disks the Master/Slave handling was not standardized and worked only reliable with HDDs from the same manufacturer e.g. Seagate.
AT-A compatible HDDs usually work well as Master/Slave when jumpered right.

It is written on the drive if it is AT or AT-A compatible.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 4 of 5, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There are a few different types of IDE. Originally there was 8-bit XT-IDE (XTA) and 16-bit AT-IDE (ATA). AT-IDE had the specification extended a couple of times...."EIDE" was one of them. I don't know for certain, but my feeling is that the specification for EIDE must have been pretty loose like SVGA.

XT-IDE died out pretty quickly for the obvious reasons. So now when you hear that term IDE it is usually taken to mean ATA and vice versa.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 5 of 5, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Anonymous Coward wrote:

XT-IDE died out pretty quickly for the obvious reasons.

Upper limit of 40MB hard disks were among the primary reasons, since it was based off the old IBM/Xebec hard drive controller. By the time it was introduced 16-bit ISA slots were almost universally standard. But it has been resurrected (in a way) in the modern XT-IDE project(s).

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog