VOGONS

Reply 20 of 22, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

not to hijack the thread but I'm just wondering about opinion since we sort of got into it. assuming the OP wasnt intending to do any heavy DOS gaming and was just building a period machine for win 95 (say 95-early 98) what would be the best card to pair with a voodoo 1?

i'm using a virge/GX and its pretty ok, before that I had a ET6000 but now i'm really starting to look at the Riva 128. I know theres no perfect card for almost any time but is there any card for this era thats at the top (paired with the V1)?

Reply 22 of 22, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
soviet conscript wrote:

not to hijack the thread but I'm just wondering about opinion since we sort of got into it. assuming the OP wasnt intending to do any heavy DOS gaming and was just building a period machine for win 95 (say 95-early 98) what would be the best card to pair with a voodoo 1?

i'm using a virge/GX and its pretty ok, before that I had a ET6000 but now i'm really starting to look at the Riva 128. I know theres no perfect card for almost any time but is there any card for this era thats at the top (paired with the V1)?

I think a period correct popular mid range box for that era most probably would have an S3 Trio64 variation with 2 or 4 MB, maybe even an S3 based Diamond. A better box would have a Matrox with 4MB min, Millenium or Mystique.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000