VOGONS

First post, by Dead Things

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

Long-time lurker, recent registrant, first-time poster. I've run into a problem that I've been unable to solve and my google-fu is failing me.

Here it is in a nutshell:

When I install 3D drivers on a WinXP install on my FIC VA-503+, I get either BSOD at startup (for ATI cards) or BSOD as soon as a 3D application is launched (for Nvidia and 3dfx cards). Outside of chipset and VGA drivers, I'm using the exact same nlited OS that I used for 3D with WinXP on my Gigabyte GA-5AX with considerable success. And I'm using the exact same hardware that I used for 3D with Win2k on the VA-503+ with considerable success.

Does anybody have any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

System specs are:

• FIC VA-503+ with 1MB cache
    1 x 256MB PC133 CL2 RAM
    P-MMX 166 @ 2.5 x 112 = 280 MHz
    Nlited WinXP SP3 x86

GPUs tested so far:

• FX 5950 Ultra - Drivers don't install properly
    FX 5900 XT - Drivers install, 2D works fine, but BSOD at 3D
    GF4 4200 8x - Drivers install, 2D works fine, but BSOD at 3D
    GF3 Ti500 - Drivers install, 2D works fine, but BSOD at 3D
    Radeon 9800 Pro - BSOD at startup after installing drivers
    Radeon 9700 - BSOD at startup after installing drivers
    Voodoo3 3000 - Drivers install, 2D works fine, but BSOD at 3D

...One other bit that I'd mention is that the GF3 Ti500 works perfectly fine with the exact same drivers and no changes to BIOS under Win2k on this board. Anyway - if anybody has some helpful insights about getting 3D to work on XP, it would be very greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Reply 1 of 2, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My guess is that the AGP can not deliver enough power.

Did you install any of the patches for VIA chipsets? such as the Latency patch?

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 2 of 2, by Dead Things

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the reply! No - I have not tried any of George's patches yet. I thought I read the latency patch didn't work with SP3. But I'll give it a whirl to see if it helps - thanks for the idea!

I don't think it's a matter of power delivery, as the GF3 Ti500 does not use an auxiliary power source yet it works under Win2k, just not under WinXP.

---

update - Thanks again for the idea. Latency patch installed just fine - not sure where I got the idea that it wouldn't work on SP3. Unfortunately, it did not address my BSOD-at-3D problem.