VOGONS

IDE to ATA-FLASH Card Reader

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 32, by JaNoZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i can use a promise 133 tx2
but it is in a socket a machine right now.
running read speed of 30mb for the 8gb cf card and 40 mb,s with the 16gb sandisk extreme iv

i have not tried it with 486 i think pformance wil drop but you will have the advantage of the non cpu hogging pio modes if you use the add on pci ata card.

and proper big drive support 😀

Reply 21 of 32, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just got a 4gb Flash Card but it doesn't seem to fit into the card reader. It is too small.
Any idea of what type of adaptor I must get? Is it a PCMCIA to CF like this one?

adaptadorsandiskcompact.jpg

tarjeta2w.jpg

tarjetai.jpg

Reply 22 of 32, by JaNoZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

hmm i thought it was a straight cf slot, but just as you say and also in the beginning of this you might indeed need something like this.
i never bothered something like this as i am in no need to do a cf swap.
i will do when the case comes off.
seemes you need to find an proper adapter and spend some extra cash to get this baby working.

good luck, i cannot help sadly, no further ideas.
maybe buy interal cf adapter from china like me and fix your case with a second floppy drive or zip 😀

Reply 23 of 32, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
JaNoZ wrote:
hmm i thought it was a straight cf slot, but just as you say and also in the beginning of this you might indeed need something l […]
Show full quote

hmm i thought it was a straight cf slot, but just as you say and also in the beginning of this you might indeed need something like this.
i never bothered something like this as i am in no need to do a cf swap.
i will do when the case comes off.
seemes you need to find an proper adapter and spend some extra cash to get this baby working.

good luck, i cannot help sadly, no further ideas.
maybe buy interal cf adapter from china like me and fix your case with a second floppy drive or zip 😀

thanx Janoz, I'm going to buy a PCMCIA to CF adaptor and hope it works. I'll keep the forum informed!

Reply 25 of 32, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Great news JaNoZ! The PCMCIA to CF Adaptor did the trick.
I got the CF and formated with Minitool Partition Wizard.
Made 2 partitions:

1 FAT16 - 1,95gb PRIMARY
2 FAT16 - 1,76gb LOGICAL
NON of them set as ACTIVE

I then plugged the CF + PCMCIA adpater into the 486 and voila!
The computer recognised the card!
The bad part is that it only recognises 1 partition, the 2nd es left unused.
Any ideas?

thanx for yout info guys!

cimg5667.jpg

Reply 26 of 32, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Great news JaNoZ! The PCMCIA to CF Adaptor did the trick.
I got the CF and formated with Minitool Partition Wizard.
Made 2 partitions:

1 FAT16 - 1,95gb PRIMARY
2 FAT16 - 1,76gb LOGICAL
NON of them set as ACTIVE

I then plugged the CF + PCMCIA adpater into the 486 and voila!
The computer recognised the card!
The bad part is that it only recognises 1 partition, the 2nd es left unused.
Any ideas? (I'm just using the CF to swap information from main computer to CF, not as the primary HDD)

thanx for yout info guys!

pd: some pictures

cimg5671f.jpg

cimg5667.jpg

Reply 28 of 32, by JaNoZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes do it from scratch, maybe other pc did LBA, and now youre on CHS maybe so it could be bad.
Creat an primary and an extended partition with logic partition inside them.
Otherwise maybe use the tool i talked about earlier that converts CF card from removable to a fixed disk type.

I know from experience that this method correctly enables me to use a second partition onto a CF card in a modern system while using WinXP or later that is.
I am not sure if dos is such a bitch complaining about this but you never know.

Thanks for the update.

Reply 29 of 32, by Scylla

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Following the tips on this thread, I bought these things on Amazon.es:

http://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B001C852NO/re … 0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B002RCQ0SU/re … 0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My goal is to install Windows 98 SE there. Speed benchmarks on the CF so far report that it saturates the USB 2.0 bandwith at both reading and writing, which are pretty good news. If I can get myself to try it this weekend, I'll post my results.

Reply 30 of 32, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Any update to this OP?

I have been using CF cards for quite some time. I also always create the partitions on the retro PC using FDISK.

You can create four 2GB partitions with FAT16. The problem is, if you stick such a CF card into a CF reader on a Windows PC you can only access the first partition 🙁

Linux can access all four though. It seems to be a limitation of Windows I'm afraid...

Going with FAT32 and DOS 7.1 is the other option.

I'm now moving away from CF cards and using IDE to SATA adapters and modern HDDs (600GB for example) and this also works quite well. Just got to make sure you don't create too large partitions.

There are SATA bays that allow you to eject the drive. This is also something I'm currently investigating...

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 31 of 32, by Hatta

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That thing looks awesome. Too bad it requires an unwieldy adaptor. I just leave my internal CF adaptor lying in a 5.25" bay with no front cover, but something with a nice face plate like that would be awesome. It actually looks a lot like the floppy style tape drive that the machine came with.

Reply 32 of 32, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There is a company that does 3.5" drives with a CF reader at the front and IDE plug in the other end. Unfortunately they aren't cheap 🙁

I ended up using these CF adapters that go into the rear slots. Yes you need to reach around the back of the PC but they only cost a few bucks.

Now I have settled for IDE to SATA adapters and I'm using a SATA HDD tray that goes into a 5.25" bay 😁

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel