VOGONS

First post, by Filosofia

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a case from a 1991 386 with Turbo Button and LED MHz Display.
I also have a socket 7 motherboard with connectors for these, would they be compatible? Does anyone know a good reference link for this kind of stuff? Thanks.

BGWG as in Boogie Woogie.

Reply 1 of 9, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The led probably only has 2 digits if it's from a 386, and the socket 7 I assume is > 100 mhz. And not all socket 7 boards have a turbo switch, mine doesn't.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 2 of 9, by Filosofia

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It does have a turbo switch conection, thta is why I start thinking about doing this. But you are right it is a 2 digit, not a problem for pentium 75 right?

Reply 3 of 9, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You will have to configure the MHz display anyway using some jumpers so you are totally free what you want it to display with turbo on and off. If you don't change the configuration you will see the old values from the 386.

You probably won't have a manual for the case so this will take some trial and error. In theory two jumpers per segment are needed (there are four combinations: always an, always off, on when turbo on, on when turbo off) so there would be 28 jumpers for two digits.

Sounds like fun 😉

Reply 4 of 9, by Filosofia

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

😢 😕 😒 😵

so the turbo switch connects to the turbo switch pins in the motherboard and it work no matter if the LED is connected or properly configured

and the LED connects to the turbo LED pins in the motherboard and it will work only when the switch is connected?

I wish I had some pics, but my stash is 6 miles away, which sucks.

Reply 7 of 9, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Filosofia wrote:

It does have a turbo switch conection, thta is why I start thinking about doing this. But you are right it is a 2 digit, not a problem for pentium 75 right?

Pentium 100 isnt a problem here.. You can put on the digits

`HI` and `LO`

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 8 of 9, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Filosofia wrote:

Would this be real changing the cpu speed or just disabling the cahce?

Depends on the mainboard/chipset. Probably even the manual won't tell you, better do some benchmarks yourself.

And yes, you will have to connect the LEDs to the turbo LED pins on the mainboard to make them do anything.

Reply 9 of 9, by Markk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There's also another way. The turbo led is connected directly to the small pcb of the display, and then only the display is connected to the turbo switch header on the board. Depending on the state of the switch it will light the led. I guess it has to do with the design of the display.