VOGONS

First post, by TheLazy1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So lets say I want to run Dos 6, FreeDOS, and Windows 95...
Seeing as all of those act all pissy and must boot from the active partition I'm not sure how to proceed.

Grub4dos worked fine to boot FreeDOS from Dos 6, since it must be on the active partition I would need yet another copy of grub4dos to switch back.
Am I over complicating things here?

Reply 2 of 6, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

MS-DOS 6 and Windows 95 actually get along quite nicely. If you install DOS first and Windows second, you can just hit F8 when Windows 95 is starting up and boot the "previous edition of MS-DOS".

But I don't really understand why you would want to have both DOS 6 and FreeDOS accessible all the time. Some would even eagerly dispute the need to keep DOS 6 around at all alongside Windows 95, or the choice of Windows 95 over Windows 98 for that matter. A boot floppy would indeed be a fine idea. What exactly are you doing, aside from overcomplicating things?

Also, GRUB4DOS doesn't care about which partition is active, since it installs in the MBR.

Reply 3 of 6, by TheLazy1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That actually probably explains why it didn't work...
I ran it from the command line, no wonder it didn't pop up again...

*hides in shame*

Some things have been picky with freedos which is why I was looking to have the option to change things up for such rare occurrences.

Reply 4 of 6, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TheLazy1 wrote:

I ran it from the command line, no wonder it didn't pop up again...

Aye, you should probably check the manual.

Alternatively, you can do without a boot manager entirely and just toggle the active partition manually whenever you want to switch. There's less ways things can go wrong that way, I think.

Some things have been picky with freedos

Do tell.

Reply 5 of 6, by TheLazy1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

Some things have been picky with freedos

Do tell.

I can't remember off the top of my head, but there were! Honest!
Mostly I just want to **** around though.

😜

Reply 6 of 6, by Hatta

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Some of the FreeDOS utils are not strictly compatible with the DOS equivalents. There are rare games that don't play nice with shsucdx, for instance.

I think DOS 7 is the best option. I'm not aware of any incompatibilities between DOS 6.22 and DOS 7. I'm not aware of anything important you can do with FreeDOS that you can't do with DOS7. Unless you're really hurting for RAM, go with DOS 7. If you are hurting for RAM, DOS 3.3 or DOS 5 depending on exactly what your hardware is.

If you really want to multiboot, I'd just use regular grub. Install it on its own partition from a live CD. Use 'makeactive' to make each DOS partition active when loaded.