VOGONS

First post, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm listening to music on my SC-55 mk II and DB50XG. Although there are some tracks which sound nicer on the SC-55, most of them sound terrible on the Roland synthesizers compared to the Yamaha.

I also bought a SC-7 just for kicks. It's almost comical to listen to after hearing what a real synth should sound like.

Does anyone have any opinions or comments regarding Roland and Yamaha synths of this time? Does the Yamaha just ring truer to my ears or is there something else that makes it sound so good?

Last edited by Kahenraz on 2023-12-08, 06:59. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 16, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's really just a matter of taste. Yamaha has way stronger drums for the most part, so it may fit some tracks more than others...

For me, Duke3D only sounds 100% right on Roland 😀

Reply 2 of 16, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some games sound better with the Roland, some games sound better on Yamaha, some on MT-32, some on GUS, some on AWE, some on AdLib... And that's not even to speak to personal preference.

It varies hugely from game to game, and from person to person.

Sorry that was a bit of a non-answer, but it's true!

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 3 of 16, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ermm...what music files were teseted with? Games music or other MIDI files?

Games using MIDI generally sound good with Roland, since most games following the advent of GM standard generally have full support for Sound Canvas. Most games were written using Roland Modules.

Games supporting Yamaha XG standards are far less in number, but some music pieces do sound better with Yamaha, maybe due to certain pronounced certain instrument expressions, mostly due to the percussion sets.

On the other hand, wouldn't it be odd if a game's MIDI was written with the help of a Yamaha module, but the sound setup doesn't have an option to support it? (Which means most of the games.)

Some will swear by Yamaha's music when it comes to playing General MIDI files. MIDI files written with GS implementation in mind, will generally sound better with a Sound Canvas.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 4 of 16, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Unfortunately, as the MT-32 predates GM, I'm only able to listen to game tracks which utilize it directly. I haven't done much testing with it but Monkey Island sounds great with the MT-32. 😀

Reply 5 of 16, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
d1stortion wrote:

are you sure? 😉

Attachments

• Filename
    STALKER.zip
    File size
    4.7 KiB
    Downloads
    96 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 6 of 16, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MpnZlOJIqw

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 7 of 16, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
robertmo wrote:
d1stortion wrote:

are you sure? 😉

What are you trying to say with that? Actually the AWE sounds really good here (which is a pretty rare sight when taking things like Doom into account where it totally blows), Yamaha too, but only Roland has that "original" feel to it in this game.

Reply 8 of 16, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

When I connect the my Roland SC-55 MKII to the AV receiver with surrounded speakers (around the room), and while playing DOOM and Heretic, the whole environment becomes studio-like, with life-like cymbals and drums, etc. It looks as though I'm exaggerating, but I'm not. 😉

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 10 of 16, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had both and I must admit, at least in Duke3D I liked yamaha more. As a rule of thumb, if the game music is 'rock-style' or something dynamic with lots of drums and similar - it may sound better on yamaha. Everything else (like soft background music of RPG games, or Settlers and virtually all MT32 variants) may sound better on Roland.

Then again - it may not: in the end, its up to you! 😎

Reply 12 of 16, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I already did that many more times than I like to acknowledge 😉 the Yamaha drums in this track are simply too dominant for my taste and frankly this soundtrack was composed for the SC-55...

btw, slightly off topic, but PS and especially Saturn Duke3D music is totally underrated 😀

Reply 13 of 16, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not entirely related to the SC-55 and GM music but the Yamaha XG cards have a GS-compatible mode and a way to 'emulate' a Roland MT32. You can enable it by sending the GS System On sysex command, then changing the bank to MSB=7F, LSB=00, then disabling bank select on all channels. Now really this doesn't sound like an MT-32 at all, but I can't say it sounds bad either. At least it enables you to play a few games with GS music with only a DB60XG.

Maybe you've all heard this already but I'll post it again anyway:
https://soundcloud.com/oplawaai3/monkey1-intro-db60xg
https://soundcloud.com/oplawaai3/lotus-the-ul … imate-challenge

Reply 14 of 16, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmmm IMO that Monkey Island on the Yamaha sounds weird...

For me, I had a Sound Canvas in the 90s, so only a Roland gives me that nostalgic feeling. Everything else simply sounds a bit "off".

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 15 of 16, by Markk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The best way to play Monkey Island on a Yamaha daughterboard is to use Scummvm . It sounds great that way. If you play it on DOS, it sounds weird, indeed.

Reply 16 of 16, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think you can waste your life on these comparisons, but I agree that some things sound better on yamaha and some on roland. 😁

Kahenraz wrote:

I also bought a SC-7 just for kicks. It's almost comical to listen to after hearing what a real synth should sound like.

Never really understood whether an sc7/scb7/scd10 should sound different from an sc55/scd15/scc1 for games as I saw somewhere that games would not have used the extra sounds/tones available on the 55 anyway. 😕

Doom on the MT32 makes a refreshing change 😉