VOGONS

Reply 40 of 44, by sadosp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
adultlunchables wrote:

SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H7 P330 T6

You are the Man! This line was the solution for my SB 128 PCI. Especially the H7 versus the H5 that I found anywhere else.
BIG THANK YOU.

Reply 41 of 44, by oldkid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just wanted to say thanks for the information and people posting about their experiences, I have had some fun tonight trying to get Dos Mode sound working in PCem, running Win98SE, using the SB PCI-128 virtual hardware (it seems to be the only one that Windows 98SE was detecting, for some reason).
I used the SBPCI.zip drivers from here: https://easymamecab.mameworld.info/html/snddosdr.htm, but the sound would not initially work.
There is a nifty test program included with the drivers called SBTEST.EXE that it will include within the C:\DOSDRV directory if you do the basic install to confirm.
To get sound working, I had to change the default flags on the "set blaster" in the autoexec.bat to "SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H7 P330 T6" and it worked like a charm.
Thanks for everyone who has struggled with this and posted there findings.

Reply 42 of 44, by opp31337

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
adultlunchables wrote on 2019-02-25, 02:12:
collector wrote:

Besides necroposting, this forum is for DOS games on *modern* systems. You should ask old hardware and old OS questions in a new thread here: Marvin, the Paranoid Android

When you Google search for PCI 128 and DOS sound issues this thread comes up on the first page of search results. That's how I discovered it. I think other people will be lead here with the same issue as well.

I'm still working on the exact solution but so far I've found that it includes enabling EMM386 in DOS.

here we are almost Christmas 2021 and the reply to a "necropost" saves the day again.

I too was sent here from google... if it is active in search engines I wouldn't really say it is necro but more in stasis... I HATE when i get a search result of someone asking the same thing i am on a forum and then i click on it and it has been locked because someone decided that the post was no longer worthy of reply due to an arbitrary amount of time passing between replies and so the search continues usually without result.

knowledge doesn't become irrelevant because someone hasn't replied to it in a while. knock it off.

Reply 43 of 44, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Interesting that changing the set blaster variables and or adding emm386 did it for you...for me it does not.
I changed everything possible thing (bios/irq manually, ini-files irq/dma's) and switched the cards CT5803 4750 4810 etc. still no sound...but I try the switches again.

My card is using PCI 7000 and IRQ 11. The SB-Emulation is either I5 or I7 A220 DMA 1 /5 or 1/7.

I looked the machine and I see that I5 is also used by USB-Controller. So I went manually for I 7. The Win9x driver has an Option that letzt you activate thaz the card works with LPT Interrupt which is also on 7, but it still does not work in Dos. In windows everthing is fine though.

I don't give up yet because it has to be this card (SB128) and no other.

Doc

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 44 of 44, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is totally strange. All sb-test prgs complain that there is no "set blaster" variable set, but it is set in the autoexec.bat.
CT4750 CT5803 CT4810...none works in dos, it's always the same. the sb-card can not be found but the drivers don't complain and everything seems to be OK but no SB-card can be found by any game or test-prg.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines