VOGONS

First post, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I almost finished my 386 setup, but have a trouble which I can't solve in any way.

Its an 386 build, based on a Dataexpert Unichip 386WB motherboard.

dsc7927resize.jpg

Since I don't want to limit myself with 540MB disks (a non flashable 386 BIOS as you might expected) , I purchased a SIIG ISA EIDE adapter (NIB) with two IDE channels supporting disks upto 8GB and also an Adaptec AHA-1520B SCSI adapter.

dsc7913resize.jpg dsc7911resize.jpg

The choice of drives that I installed are as follows:
IDE1 master: Quantum 3.1GB (for MSDOS+Windows 3.11)
IDE1 slave: Quantum 5 GB (for Windows95)
IDE2 master: CF adapter with 512MB Sandisk or 2GB Sandisk Ultra (for data transfer)
IDE2 slave: LG 52x CD-ROM
SCSI: Quantum 3.1 GB (for ghost backups and any other storage)

The adapter settings are as follows (EIDE on top, SCSI bottom):

201303210125490004resiz.jpg

201303210029420003resiz.jpg

So, theorotically no conflicts.

Boot screen messages are as follows:

dsc7939resize.jpg

As you might see, both EIDE adapter and SCSI adapter seemingly correctly identfy their respective drives.

Only curious thing is all the other much modern Adaptec SCSI adapters was giving a message like "SCSI BIOS Installed successfully" after detecting the disk, but this one does not. I don't know if it is also a habit should be expected from this card, or the lack of message is just normal.

Relevant ICU screens are as follows:

dsc7942resize.jpg
dsc7940resize.jpg
dsc7941resize.jpg
dsc7943resize.jpg

No conflicts here either. But EIDE adapter seems like identified as two separate cards, one as (SYSTEM) Hard Disk controller with IRQ 14 only (not 14 and 15) and one as Unknown Card with no IRQ but its BIOS memory adreess only.

The problem is, computer refuses the exisitence of both SCSI and CF disks. FDISK, EFDISK, Partition Magic 8.0 cant see anything but the first two IDE disks connected to the first IDE channel. I would like to think that some how second IDE channel is not correctly seen by the system, but CD-ROM drive which is also attached to the second channel as the CF disk loads and works just fine. I tried two different CF disks with no success. I tried with no SCSI but again no success.

Anybody has any idea what my real problem might be?

Last edited by tayyare on 2013-03-21, 19:24. Edited 1 time in total.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 1 of 7, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I tried another combination:

IDE1 master: Quantum 3.1GB
IDE1 slave: CF adapter with 512MB Sandisk or 2GB Sandisk Ultra
IDE2 master: Quantum 5 GB
IDE2 slave: LG 52x CD-ROM

Both Quantums again being detected correctly during boot time by the adapter BIOS, and reachable by FDISK or any other partitioning utility. CDROM again loads and works fine.

CF card again being detected by the adapter BIOS correctly.

But AGAIN, it is not exisiting when it comes to any partitioning utility.

Changed the SCSI card IO adress to 140-15F and rare random system self resets are gone, and controller detects the disk correctly at boot time, but again, not reachable by FDISK, etc...

I hate my builds when they are moodier than even my wife... 😒

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader

Reply 2 of 7, by fillosaurus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, at least you can modify/improve your builds. Wife... Only if you upgrade from Wife 1.0 to Wife 2.0

Y2K box: AMD Athlon K75 (second generation slot A)@700, ASUS K7M motherboard, 256 MB SDRAM, ATI Radeon 7500+2xVoodoo2 in SLI, SB Live! 5.1, VIA USB 2.0 PCI card, 40 GB Seagate HDD.
WIP: external midi module based on NEC wavetable (Yamaha clone)

Reply 3 of 7, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Silly question, but what exactly is the point of having scsi AND ide? The reason you can't see the scsi hard drive is because the two controller bios are conflicting. One or the other needs to be a "stupid" controller. (no bios). PCI fixed this and is no longer an issue. but pre-PnP isa. Anything more than one bios add-on just doesnt work. Put eveything on scsi and forget IDE is my advice.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 4 of 7, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:

Silly question, but what exactly is the point of having scsi AND ide? The reason you can't see the scsi hard drive is because the two controller bios are conflicting. One or the other needs to be a "stupid" controller. (no bios). PCI fixed this and is no longer an issue. but pre-PnP isa. Anything more than one bios add-on just doesnt work. Put eveything on scsi and forget IDE is my advice.

There is no special reason. I just like SCSI, and I have many SCSI disks all around all types and sizes. Plus I don't like empty slots and trays... 😊
But my main requirement is IDE, due to CF adapter and CDROM availablity.

The confugration that I tried to achive (for almost all of my builds) is something like this:

IDE1: HDD for OS1
IDE2: HDD for OS2
IDE3: CF card for data transfer
IDE4: CDROM/DVDROM
SCSI: HDD for IDE ghost images, and all the other setup files (OSes, drivers, software, etc.)

By the way, there is no BIOS conflict. I'm able to specify non confilicting memory adresses on both cards. by jumper on the EIDE, and either by switches or thru ICU PNP on SCSI.

Besides, I already tried only EIDE and only SCSI confugrations, and the situation did not improve.

The important thing is CF card. If I somehow can manage to use it, I can easily give up SCSI, if required for that achivement.

I just found a "how to" guide and seen that Adaptec 15xx family of cards are known to do this, with MS DOS machines. And remedy is loading Adaptec ASPI drivers for DOS, and driving HDD by another driver software, then making the partition with AFDISK, an Adaptec partitioning utility. It worked. The drivers are not so small, but I still have enough of upper meemory blocks available, so not much problem et the moment but thigs are still weird. The irritating thing is, SCSI hard disks are not supposed to be driven by software under DOS, all my retro builds (PIII, PMMX, 486) are hybrid machines with both SCSI and IDE, working perfectly well under DOS, even the one with 5 SCSI disks, 3 IDE disks, 1 IDE DVD and 1 SCSI DVD.

For example, any partitioning sofware that I have (Partition Magic, Fdisk, Efdisk, etc.) still cannot see the drive, althoguh it is formatted, drive letter assigned, and working perfectly at the moment.

The other funny thing is, a system spec reporter that I use (Astra) can see the Flash disk with correct info, but still cannot see the SCSI drive...

So, at the moment:

- System detects both IDE disks, CF card, CDROM and SCSI disk correctly and without any hassle at bootup time.
- I can access both IDE disks and CDROM normally and without any additional measure
- By using Adaptec drivers, I can access the SCSI disk normally under DOS just by "F: enter" and do any type of normal oprations on it (copy, delete, md, cd, etc.).
- Even with drivers, only partitioning sofware that can acccess the SCSI is Adaptec's own AFDISK
- Astra detects the CF card which I have no normal access, but acts as there is no SCSI disk although I have normal access to SCSI disk.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader

Reply 5 of 7, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
fillosaurus wrote:

Well, at least you can modify/improve your builds. Wife... Only if you upgrade from Wife 1.0 to Wife 2.0

"Upgrading Wife" somehow just sounds wrong, don't you think?... 😁

Well, can we consider, going from 49 kgs to 59 kgs in about 20 years, as sort of an upgrade?...🤣

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader

Reply 6 of 7, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The conflict is with the Int 13h extensions the cards install. I had a similar problem with my EISA 486, a SIIG card and an Adapter EISA SCSI card. Only one or the other could hook Int 13h. Half the option ROM settings would nuke the other card's (usually the SCSI card) option ROM from even running!

Reply 7 of 7, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
NJRoadfan wrote:

The conflict is with the Int 13h extensions the cards install. I had a similar problem with my EISA 486, a SIIG card and an Adapter EISA SCSI card. Only one or the other could hook Int 13h. Half the option ROM settings would nuke the other card's (usually the SCSI card) option ROM from even running!

Actually I given up on SCSI (although I managed to make it work with Adaptec DOS drivers) and my only concern is making the IDE system work.

Still no success with CF card. I just started to think that there is something wrong with my cheap CF adapter. Ordered a different and better looking one.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader