VOGONS

M-321 rev3.1 386DX40 mobo: worth restoring?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hello!

I have a M-321 rev3.1 386DX40 motherboard : http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/I/IL … ml#.UUxYzjvIZok

As far as I can tell it has 128kb cache soldered on and a 386DX40 cpu. It suffered battery damage , it boots but complains (most of the times) on keyboard being locked or about a keyboard error... makes sense since the keyboard area is green and the kb controller socket has been affected too.

Now I have cleaned this up and thinking on repairing it (2032 battery, change the keyboard controller socket and maybe 2xISA slots if they don't clean well) but does it worth the trouble?
I can invest some time to it if it's a "good" motherboard but if it is a problematic one I can just leave it for spare parts or something...

The chipset is:
PC CHIPS CHIP5 4L04F 1282
PC CHIPS CHIP6 4L04F 1666
DC CHIPS H82C206

anyone has any experience with it? should I spend time on it?
Thanks in advance! 😊

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 1 of 5, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Feature-wise, the board looks excellent for a 386 motherboard. External battery support, range of speeds, 32MB RAM and 256K cache support, mono/color support, coprocessor socket, 8-bit ISA slots, Turbo button and well documented jumpers. PC CHIPS was a very common chipset maker in the 286 and 386 days, so I would suggest that any instabilities would be caused by the battery leakage and general age, not the reliability of the chipset.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 2 of 5, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

great, thanks for the info Great Hierophant! I'll try and restore it then 😁
unfortunately the 4 cache chips are soldered on board and there is no tag sram , only a socket... if I find them working I might add the rest 128kb so I have a full 256k mobo. 😀

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 3 of 5, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have one of these as well. It is a little slower than the Opti and Rabbit, considerably slower than the Forex, but as G.H. said, it has all necessary features for a good all-arounder. Quite stable as well. I think I have a different revision / mine has the 4 empty sockets for another 128 kb cache and the socket for write-back mode (dirty tag?)./ On my board, the jumpers are soldered down with tiny clamps in 128 kb position. I might risk cutting them thru then solder the pins in 256 kb position. Even with 128 kb write-back cache you can manage 16 MB main memory... 16 megabytes should be enough for everyone 😀

"Ita in vita ut in lusu alae pessima iactura arte corrigenda est."

Reply 5 of 5, by aigeek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just got one M-321 Rev 3.1 motherboard, it's Am386DX-40 and 64KB cache soldered on board, with write back enabled socket.

With 4MB x 4 RAM and extreme optimized BIOS setting, the memory bandwidth, ISA video and CF2IDE transfer rate are just ordinary.

There's not ISA CLK option in BIOS, as I know it has a significant impact on video and HDD transfer rate. On comparison motherboards I alway try to set ISA CLK/2 to get much higher performance (some adapters need lower ISA clock to work stably).

I don't know why the memory bandwidth is so low, even if I have set every options about RAM and Cache to fastest, but there're not timing options such as CAS or chips speed.

Any tweaking hints ?

386MB_M-321_Rev3_1.jpg
Filename
386MB_M-321_Rev3_1.jpg
File size
722.01 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception