VOGONS

Reply 21 of 34, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The MGA-1064SG is not a Millenium but Matrox Mystique and what you linked is the Rainbow Runner Studio upgrade module.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 23 of 34, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

i think so, the main difference is just the chip, the board looks more or less identical.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 24 of 34, by Scylla

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Gamecollector wrote:

Heh, my old trusty Matrox Mystique (MGA-1064SG) have the daugtherboard too? Good. Four connectors to the videocard. Design is so design...
there is a TV-tuner to "complete" the puzzle, but this device is ISA only.

Would love to be able to see that pic and any other you'd like to share.

Reply 25 of 34, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

not the pic expected but here is what I am gonna test , Stealth 3D 3000 + MVP 1100 daughterboard... IIRC the card has 2+2MB VRAM

fp76eo.jpg

I am trying to figure out the driver deal, I assume it needs more than just the Virge/VX one...

edit: installed the card + driver, from what I understood if you play a MPEG-1 file then the daughterboard automatically gets used, if you have a refresh rate highed than 72hz it will change to 72hz and go back after the file is done playing.

edit2: if you have Greek locale in 98SE then Diamond's InControl tools revert to German language... changing locale to US you get English... meh 😜

edit3: well, the board definitely is getting used... if you open a mpg1 file you get some screen change (I assume the board writes to some overlay) and when you close media player you get another screen change and you can see strange colors for 0.5sec ... can't say how much it helps decoding, I am using a 400mhz K6-2 on a MVP-3 mobo and I see media player uses 50-60% of cpu time in playback... will remove the card later and see how much usage is with a riva128zx

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 27 of 34, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
swaaye wrote:

Pull the DB and see if behavior changes.

would you believe that I did not think of this simple solution?! 😳
will do it tomorrow!

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 28 of 34, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I removed the daughterboard today and did the test again. I get the same behavior which means the daughterboard was never in use... that rises the question:
HOW do you get it used?!

I installed the latest Stealth3D 3xx0 driver and the vga part works great. Diamond tools also work and "S3 Video Live" thingie was also installed automatically. Any ideas are more than welcome 😊

Reply 29 of 34, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My guess is there was a MPEG1 player program that accessed the MX2 through the S3 Virge driver via a proprietary API. Maybe a VideoCD player program.

Virge itself has video overlay functions. Scaling and color space conversion. You are probably seeing that being used.

Reply 30 of 34, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have located the Scenic/MX2 drivers, there is even a package for DOS that has inside a driver for Dragon's Lair...
Though I've installed the driver on my w98SE machine I cannot get the card to work... after the driver installation double-clicking on mpeg files does not work, I get complains about MCI device not supporting the format ... dropping the files in media player window just renders them in software - same as before...

at any rate, I attach the driver archive, maybe someone wants to test (pay attention, there are different drivers for different s3 chipsets)

edit: added a windows mpeg player, click on the cd-rom door on the program's gui to make a playlist... couldn't get it to play any files though 🤣

Attachments

• Filename
    mpeg.zip
    File size
    1.01 MiB
    Downloads
    195 downloads
    File comment
    S3 Scenic MX2 mpeg player
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    mxdrv.rar
    File size
    2.71 MiB
    Downloads
    127 downloads
    File comment
    S3 Scenic/MX2 driver collection
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 31 of 34, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Did anyone else tried to run the Diamond Scenic/MX2 daughterboard (MVP 1100) with cards other than the Stealth64 Video 2001? It seems this was the card Diamond meant it to be run with, but there is no word about Stealth3D compatibility.

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 32 of 34, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Allright - 5 years later I found something that works with that MVP-1100 daughterboard 🤣
I am testing some diamond cards that have win3.1 drivers so I attached the daughterboard to the Trio64V+ based "Stealth 64 Video 2001" . After installing Windows Media Player 5.2 beta the VIDEO tab in Diamond InControl Tools was available :

CwH59UYl.png

It does play videos 😁 - and that pink color is the overlay so I assume that the hardware decoding part works. I will try later with the Stealth3D 3000 - assuming it's InControl Tools is not the Lite version that lacks all the extra stuff.
No idea how much the daughterboard helps though as the 5x86 cpu I am using atm can decode that S3 test MPG just fine.

Reply 33 of 34, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice to see you back at this. Must have been itching at you for 5 years.

Does anyone know at what point were hardware mpeg1 decoders added standard to graphics cards? Or were they ever? Which graphic cards from 1995 - 2000 had built-in hardware acceleration for mpeg1 or mpeg2?

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 34 of 34, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

hehe yeah I always wanted to find something that uses this decoder daughterboard...
No idea about what chipsets support mpeg decoding but I *think* trio64+ and onward do at least MPEG-1