VOGONS

First post, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

To anyone that owns a Dataexpert UNI-386WB board.

When you press your turbo switch do you see an immediate slowdown on system speed or does it stay the same?

I'm asking because i have the same board and i just found that it refuses to switch speeds when i press turbo button except when i don't install EMM386. In other words:

No EMM386 installed: Turbo switch works
EMM386 installed: Turbo switch does nothing

I think probably the board probably refuses to switch turbo on and off if CPU is on Virtual 8086 mode. I might be wrong but that's what i think.

BTW, anyone has the manual for this board? (Not counting what is on stason.org)

Reply 1 of 5, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have an opti 386 / 486 board that does this. Once EMM386 is installed then only re-booting the machine will allow the motherboard to change the turbo setting. I made the same assumption as you, something to do with virtual mode.

I like it, because it's actually changing the clock speed, and not just turning off the cache.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 2 of 5, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks man for the answer.

Thing is this board actually gets very slow when Turbo is disabled. I think not only it lowers clock speed it also disables the cache. According to NSSI software the system gets slower than a 286 @ 16MHZ. I was expecting it would slow it to the level of a 386 DX 16 or even a DX 20.

I gotta test it more. Is there any software tool that allows to enable/disable cache via DOS prompt? That way i could check if it is disabling the cache and i could enable it back if i need slight more performance.

Reply 3 of 5, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I would think that most games that use EMM386 would not run very playably if the turbo is off.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 4 of 5, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If i disable the cache in my system, performance is between a 386 DX-25 and a 386 DX-33. This is perfect to play Wing Commander. Great, with this system i can pretty much achieve several different system speeds.

Reply 5 of 5, by rjsummer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a clone 386 with an Intel DX33. My turbo switch works instantly with emm386 or not, in DOS or Windows 3.1. I can be playing wing commander in a dogfight and it switches instanly during gameplay. My board is running 33 mhz with turbo and 8 mhz with it off.