VOGONS

Voodoo 5 5500

Topic actions

First post, by YoungThomas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi folks first time poster long time lurker.

I have just put together a new (old) PC so I can play some games from my youth.

I managed to buy a 3DFX Voodoo 5 5500 AGP for £25 from a car boot sale and so far it's been great. However, some text in the menu and other textures flicker occasionally.

I wonder if I have got a duff card but it never gets worse and I can play for hours.

System specs:

P3 Coppermine 1ghz
QDI Advance 10f 370 Mboard.
512mb PC133
400 Watt Akasa PSU
20GB Fujitsu HD
Sound Blaster Live 5.1
52x CDRom
Windows 98 SE

Reply 4 of 11, by YoungThomas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi thanks for the tips.

The drivers are the latest version, the fans and board all look ok to me.

It looks as if it might be an issue with the card.

I have managed to borrow a new PSU from a guy in work as it almost looks like interference.

It's something I can live with until I can find a better example if the card is broken.

Tom

Reply 6 of 11, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think I know the issue you are describing: It looks like scanlines shifting horizontally. It is most noticeable with text and vertical lines.
This "interference" issue happens on all my Voodoo 5 cards and seems to have crept up over time. I suspect it's caused by ageing electronic components (most probably capacitors).

Reply 7 of 11, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
5u3 wrote:

I think I know the issue you are describing: It looks like scanlines shifting horizontally. It is most noticeable with text and vertical lines.
This "interference" issue happens on all my Voodoo 5 cards and seems to have crept up over time. I suspect it's caused by ageing electronic components (most probably capacitors).

Funny, I never noticed that on my V5's. Texture flickering occurs usually when you set LOD -2 and disable FSAA. But I never saw text flickering before. I'd try with a different monitor. If that doenst help, well... Maybe the card really is defect 😒

Reply 8 of 11, by YoungThomas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I know the issue you are describing: It looks like scanlines shifting horizontally. It is most noticeable with text and vertical lines.

This is exactly what happens in the GLQuake text in the menus.

Has it gotten worse for you at all?

Reply 9 of 11, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
YoungThomas wrote:

Has it gotten worse for you at all?

Not really. I wanted to take a photo of the phenomenon to make sure we are talking about the same thing, but I couldn't reproduce the problem today.
All I know is that it is definitely not a software/drivers problem, I remember noticing the same issue under DOS and even in the BIOS setup.

Reply 10 of 11, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try re-attaching or tightening the video cable, or swap it for another one in if you can. I've experienced curious video issues before that have gone away after the PC -> monitor connection was changed - mostly moire related but flickering as you describe too.

Reply 11 of 11, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I actually experienced a bit of interference with my old PC too (very faint moving lines on the screen)... It actually ended up being the mains socket for some reason. There's possibly some noise in the mains loop, although i thought the PSU could filter it. My old Win98 PC works fine with all the other mains sockets i've tested so far.