VOGONS

First post, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ive asked Vertz about this who told me to make a topic.
I have an Voodoo Dragon 2 GPU that has no damage, seems like its new, but when i link it to the 2D card, in this case Matrox Millenium I, the image is more cyan/blue.

Now i know the cable is OK because it works with MMI x Diamond Monster 3D, is this because of incompatibility with two cards?

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 1 of 15, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Stojke wrote:

Ive asked Vertz about this who told me to make a topic.
I have an Voodoo Dragon 2 GPU that has no damage, seems like its new, but when i link it to the 2D card, in this case Matrox Millenium I, the image is more cyan/blue.

Now i know the cable is OK because it works with MMI x Diamond Monster 3D, is this because of incompatibility with two cards?

Did you try connecting your monitor directly to your Voodoo Dragon 2? Sounds like either the Red or the Green channel may be damaged on your Voodoo 2 output.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 2 of 15, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
  • What Great Hierophant said, try connecting the monitor cable directly to the Voodoo 2 when it is running a game without the passthrough.
  • Do the image distort only in Windows or only in 3D accelerated games, or both? If it only happens in games, what kind of games are you trying to run? If it is DOS Glide games many of them will produce wrong colors on a Voodoo 2 unless you either use patches or the SST batch file.
  • Check if all the pins on the 3DFX Voodoo 2 card is intact and not bent or missing.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 4 of 15, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Voodoo cards are very compatible with 2D cards. I read not long ago that they only had minor incompatibilities with several S3 chips, which was later fixed in the drivers. If I were you, I would check for bent/missing pins, check SMD filters usually located by VGA ports for any missing components (they are tiny and easy to miss).

After all, I would clean both videocards and cables with soap and, after they're dry, with alcohol to make sure the contact surface is OK.

Reply 5 of 15, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There are no damaged SMD components nor any other type of damage on the card. Its practically new. Even the VGA connectors are shiny and have no rust (from VGA cable).

WindowsBooting
DesktopShot
OriginalImage

Reply 6 of 15, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ive got my hands on an alternative pass-trough cable and same thing occurs.
Also I've noticed when i move the cable a bit the colors correct!

Seems that the contacts are dirty or something...

Ok, I've started quakeGL and it displayed 3DFX logo and everything perfectly, so it must be the pass-trough IN.

Also, after it starts quake the PC restarts, or it says illegal operation has been preformed and some times wont accept mouse/keyboard input.

Reply 10 of 15, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Its just like in the pictures i posted a while ago (up in the topic).
It only occurs in 2D image, 3D is perfectly clear, but the game crashes and the PC stops responding after a few moments. Didn't quite test that fully yet.

Also, when i move the cable a bit the color regains its original values a bit (still not 100%).

Reply 11 of 15, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

So the card might not be damaged after all... find the bad connection.

Are the pins on the plug of the pass-through cable okay? Try to find out where moving the cable has the most effect.

Do the colors change when you bend the Voodoo board?
Does it have an effect when you push the chip (picture attached)?

Attachments

• voodoo-switch.JPG
    Filename
    voodoo-switch.JPG
    File size
    14.31 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

1+1=10

Reply 12 of 15, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The pins are all OK. As i said, the card is almost brand new and there is no mechanical damage nor rust.
Pressing on the little micro chip has no effect, and on inspection it also has no damage on it. But it does seem to heat up just a little. Also bending the card by a certain degree has no effect either.

Also, the card seems to be crashing the computer. Mouse and keyboard wont respond.

Reply 14 of 15, by Pilotgeek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I wonder if the solder joints on the input plug may be bad? You could try touching them up with some new solder where it meets the board. As far as the crashing, I have no clue. Is anything overclocked? Maybe there's bad memory somewhere.