VOGONS

First post, by Zalth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi I've got an Music Quest MQX-32 ISA card I want to install in my 486DX4 to use for MT-32 support in older DOS games(Ultima Savage Empire/WC2/MM3). Can I just set the jumpers and plug it in it or do these cards need DOS/Win3.11 drivers to work correctly?

I've also got a PNP AWE64 installed, but I'm going to pull the jumper that enables it's MPU-401 emulation... This should clear up Port 330 for the MQX card right? Is there something I need to tweek in win3.11 sound config?

It's been a while since I've messed with hardware from this era.

Reply 1 of 4, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You will definitely need to configure the AWE64 and move the midi port to 300 instead of 330.

Not sure if the MQ card needs a driver. Easiest is to pull out all other Sound Cards, boot with just the Music Quest and try some Sierra and Origin games with MT-32 option. If they all load then you are on the right track!

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 4, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No driver required for DOS - there is a config / diagnostics tool (link below) which lets you mess around with some settings but in my experience it just works.

http://www.retrosynth.com/gear/orionx/mqx.html

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 3 of 4, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If the AWE64 is PnP, you may need to make sure it doesn't get software-configured to use port 330.

+1 for taking out all soundcards to test the MPU-401 card.

Reply 4 of 4, by Zalth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Great it's installed and -seems- to be working according to the diagnostic prog, but I won't know for sure until I get a damned male/male MIDI cable...

I figured out that the AWE 401 port needed to be reconfigured with CTCU.exe.