VOGONS

First post, by rug

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi guys.

How do I know how much memory is being detected in my AWE32 Soundblaster? I got one of those cards, but the SIMM30 sockets are broken. 🙁

Is there some software tool (for DOS, please) that I can use, for instance?

Cheers,
Rita Graça.

My DOS machine: MS-DOS 6.22, Pentium MMX 200MHz, 64MB RAM, AWE64 Gold, 4GB HD, Philips 19" CRT, 3"1/2 Floppy, CDROM, Parallel ZIP, ThrustMaster FLCS+TQL+Elite.

Reply 2 of 26, by rug

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
NJRoadfan wrote:

DIAGNOSE.EXE has a memory detection and test routine built in. The memory amount also appears in the AWE Control Panel under Windows.

I'll try DIAGNOSE.EXE, as I don't have Windows 95 installed, only DOS.

Cheers,
Rita Graça.

My DOS machine: MS-DOS 6.22, Pentium MMX 200MHz, 64MB RAM, AWE64 Gold, 4GB HD, Philips 19" CRT, 3"1/2 Floppy, CDROM, Parallel ZIP, ThrustMaster FLCS+TQL+Elite.

Reply 3 of 26, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can also read the markings on the memory chips and search for them.

Here:
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search? … dram/index.html
And here:
http://home.arcor.de/kickstart/TKA/Tutorials/ … emory/SIMM.html
http://home.arcor.de/kickstart/TKA/Tutorials/Memory/PNC.html

Reply 4 of 26, by JaNoZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Broken, picture please.

Also if any of both would fail you have only the standard 512KB memory, as the 30pin simms are 8bit width and cpu needs 16bits at the time i would reckon.

Reply 5 of 26, by rug

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The DIAGNOSE.EXE did not show the memory installed in the board. It tested 8bit and 16 bit music, etc.

Cheers,
Rita Graça.

Reply 6 of 26, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There's a jumper which selects between the onboard memory and the SIMM slots. If it doesn't see the SIMMs and is jumpered to use them, you'll get 0KB. If it's jumpered to use onboard you should get 512KB.

Reply 8 of 26, by rug

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Diagnose.exe has detected the memory now. Since the SIMM slots are broken, the memory wasn't being detected, so it wouldn't show up. CT could have done a better job, and put a 0KB available message, e.g.).

I now have another problem with Diagnose.exe, which is, it complains it can't find a CTMIDI.DRV, when testing AWE synthesised music.

I installed CTCMBBS and SBBASIC. I thought those would be enough. I downloaded them from Creative's web site.

Anyone knows where I can download CTMIDI.DRV?

Cheers,
Rita Graça.

Reply 10 of 26, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You don't need to download CTMIDI.DRV, it is a part of SBBASIC package and located at C:\SB16\DRV folder (provided that you installed SBBASIC to C:\SB16 folder). Your problem is that DIAGNOSE.EXE requires CTMIDI.DRV to be in the same folder for AWE synthesized music test to work.

You have either to copy CTMIDI.DRV to the folder where DIAGNOSE.EXE dwells, or add CTMIDI.DRV's location to the PATH system variable in AUTOEXEC.BAT, like this:

SET PATH = %PATH%;C:\SB16\DRV

Reply 11 of 26, by rug

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bristlehog wrote:

You don't need to download CTMIDI.DRV, it is a part of SBBASIC package and located at C:\SB16\DRV folder (provided that you installed SBBASIC to C:\SB16 folder). Your problem is that DIAGNOSE.EXE requires CTMIDI.DRV to be in the same folder for AWE synthesized music test to work.

You have either to copy CTMIDI.DRV to the folder where DIAGNOSE.EXE dwells, or add CTMIDI.DRV's location to the PATH system variable in AUTOEXEC.BAT, like this:

SET PATH = %PATH%;C:\SB16\DRV

Humm, I only have a C:\CTCM directory, not a C:\SB16...

I've downloaded the AWE32 CD from vogonsdrivers.com, and I'm going to install now.

Last edited by rug on 2013-04-11, 22:09. Edited 1 time in total.

Cheers,
Rita Graça.

Reply 12 of 26, by rug

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok MIDI emulation is working, but there's output only in my left speaker!

Playing SB music is OK on both speakers, though.

Checked the mixed, but that's not it. Any suggestions?

PS - the installer CD gave me a script error at the beginning, but it seems the installation finished OK.

Cheers,
Rita Graça.

Reply 13 of 26, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So, AWE music plays only in left channel, while FM/OPL music plays in both, did I get it correctly?

Replug your speakers/headphones jack into the card to make sure that's not an unstable jack connection. Try playing AWE music outside of DIAGNOSE. If the problem persists, that might be a broken AWE32 card.

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 14 of 26, by rug

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bristlehog wrote:

So, AWE music plays only in left channel, while FM/OPL music plays in both, did I get it correctly?

Replug your speakers/headphones jack into the card to make sure that's not an unstable jack connection. Try playing AWE music outside of DIAGNOSE. If the problem persists, that might be a broken AWE32 card.

The headphones seem to be OK because they work with FM\OPL music. They also work OK on other computers.

I tried F-117 Stealth Fighter II and with Adlib sound it worked OK on both speakers. With MT-32 sound, only left speaker, again.

Played MIDI files on Windows 3.11, also only left speaker with sound. 🙁

Cheers,
Rita Graça.

Reply 15 of 26, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Soundblaster AWE32 (CT2760) MIDI/FM music only in left channel

Seems we have the same kind of problem. I got no response on my thread, so I think we're out of luck 🙁

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 16 of 26, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am afraid you both are experiencing some kind of EMU8000 chip malfunction. There's even an explanation for one of you having this kind of a problem only with wavetable music, and other with both FM and wavetable. The thing is that on some AWE32 models the OPL/FM output is routed through EMU8000 chip, and on some other models it isn't.

What AWE32 models do you both have anyway? Model number should be printed on the card PCB, something like CTxxxx.

Reply 18 of 26, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a CT2760 and experience no such troubles. And yes, FM is routed through EMU8000 on a CT2760.

But there might be good news:

"CPAWE17C.ZIP 16-Apr-1996 00:00 7.4K CP AWE wavtbl driver 1.7c player add. driver AWE wavtbl drv v1.7c AWE wavetable driver update -removes strange left/right channels missing/wrong bug."

http://ftp.mpoli.fi/software/DOS/AUDIO/

Update: uh-oh, it's only an AWE32 driver for Cubic Player...

Last edited by bristlehog on 2013-04-13, 16:50. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 19 of 26, by rug

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Mine's a CT3990.

Cheers,
Rita Graça.