VOGONS

First post, by Private_Ops

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Looking to build a Pentium III system but, want a newer 80+ efficient power supply.

Will the lack of -5v cause any ill effects?

Reply 1 of 8, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have that exact combination. The only thing that can theoretically cause problems are ISA cards and I haven't had any trouble at all so far (AWE64, EWS64 etc. all work fine). I think the only card that won't work without the -5V rail is the LAPC-I and perhaps other cards of similar vintage. Also I've read something about motherboards actually transforming the -5V from other rails, maybe someone else knows something about that.

You should take into account that modern PSUs are made for heavy loads on the +12V line and not on +3.3V and +5V, so it's probably better to get something bigger than ~250W to be safe. Especially with beefy AGP graphics cards.

Reply 2 of 8, by Private_Ops

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was curious about the ISA sound card part to (Have an AWE 64 Value on the way).

Thanks for the answer. I might look into the 380w Antec Earthwatts instead, was looking at a low end 250w 80+.

Reply 3 of 8, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you're going to install just a Voodoo 3 or something like that you probably won't have any problems at all with the 250W part, PIIIs don't consume a lot of power as well. But if you suddenly decide that you want a Ti 4800 or something like that I think such a "weak" modern PSU can definitely mean trouble...

Reply 5 of 8, by m1919

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Private_Ops wrote:

Geforce 2 MX 400, SLI Voodoo 2s.

Can't imagine that using a whole lot of power.

I used to run the rig in my sig on just an Antec Earthwatts 380D, though at the time it lacked a couple extra hard drives and another sound card. You should be fine with most anything you'd want to run on a P3 setup. The only reason I swapped was because I wanted to run a beefier PSU in the event I ever get my hands on a pair of 900Mhz/2MB Xeons. That and the Enermax is so pretty with its blue anodized casing...

Crimson Tide - EVGA 1000P2; ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS; 2x E5-2697 v3 14C 3.8 GHz on all cores (All core hack); 64GB Samsung DDR4-2133 ECC
EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3; EVGA 750 Ti SC; Sound Blaster Z

Reply 6 of 8, by northernosprey02

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nah, I have same question about it. Can my Thermaltake EVO_Blue 550W handle my old Pentium II? It has 30A +3.3V and 28A +5V power.

Reply 7 of 8, by Pilotgeek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't see why that wouldn't handle a Pentium 2. 28A sounds like plenty. True, modern power supplies dedicate less wattage to the 5v rail, but that's compared to 12v output. If you have a 450w power supply, it may only put out as much 5v amps as an old 200w unit, but with more more amperage in the 12v. So you're really not losing out on 5v amps, as much as you are just gaining unnecessary 12v amps. Mind you, that's with a good quality newer supply. I'm sure there are some cheaper new supplies that completely cheap out on 5v. Just look at the specs of the supply, and if it puts out enough on 5v, you're good to go.

Reply 8 of 8, by Pilotgeek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Also, my 1.2ghz slot 1 Pentium 3 is running off a new 350w power supply which lacks the -5v, and it does fine. The only reason I noticed it doesn't have -5v is because it complains in the bios if you monitor voltages.