Rank
dca2 wrote:
Glad to here about it! […]
Show full quote
albr wrote:

Great thanks, your utility works fine for me! 😀

Glad to here about it!

saturday_sun wrote:

Works with CT4170 on my non-PNP 486 motherboard aswell. Thank you!

Glad to know it too. However, on a non-PnP 486 (386 +) system, the official utilities (CTCM, DIAGNOSE) are available and should be better choices.

matze79 wrote:

Would u like to share your Code with us, so everyone could customize it for other PnP Soundblasters ?

Just noticed your post (quoting a different context?). Actually, the program was mis-named "CT4170". It doesn't have CT4170 specific code and "should" work for a few other PnP Soundblasters without customization.

Neither CTCM, CTCU or Diagnose works for me. CTCM finds the card but nothing more.

Update: Could not get Intel ICU to work with this system either, probably because it is for ISA-system (I have a PCI system).

However, the "CT4170-patch" seem to work partly - FT2 works, but none of my games so far.

(Using a AWE64 PnP card)

My computer

Reply 21 of 28, by dca2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

AWE cards come with extra PnP resources which were not (yet) fully covered due to my lack of understanding. Maybe this explains the missing MIDI music in games (although having tried to add E620 to environment var like: set BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H1 P330 E620 T2).

I've uploaded the source code here with a hope that someone can help to improve it.

Filename
SBPNPXT.zip
File size
18.43 KiB
Downloads
212 downloads
File comment
Setup SB16 PnP on 8088/286 (source code included)
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 22 of 28, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

AWECards need aweutil loaded to play midi music.

On a PCI System ICU is unnecessary, just enable iSA PnP in BIOS.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 23 of 28, by Jinxter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dca2 wrote:

I've uploaded the source code here with a hope that someone can help to improve it.

SBPNPXT.zip

Hi I just used your program on a AWE64 Value ct4520 on an IBM PS/2 30-286. First it only played digitized sound, and no MIDI. After running diagnose.exe (came with the card) the MIDI also works.
Any ideas or explanations?
Should i use and drivers in my config.sys? - remember this is an i286 machine.

Check out my YouTube channel: Retro Erik https://www.youtube.com/c/RetroErik
My collection: https://retro.hageseter.com

Reply 24 of 28, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

CT4170.exe works in a 386SX using a CT2840 (I think?) PNP card. Excellent resource, thank you!

Youtube channel- The Kombinator
What's for sale? my eBay!

Reply 25 of 28, by kool kitty89

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Has anyone tried using the Vibra16 installation disk (images) with 16C based Vibra cards or CT4170s? I suppose other PnP Vibra16 derivatives would similarly apply, though I'd assume the 16S based ones with separate CT1705 PnP interface onboard would be more likely to work more similarly to the non PnP 16S models. (though I'm not even sure non-PnP is quite the right term, since they're still jumperless and driver/software config dependent, but they're not made to work automatically with the Plug and play BIOS stuff)

My CT2800 Vibra-16 works fine in a 286 system with MS-DOS 6.2 using the install disk images hosted on the vogons driver archive. I do have a CT4170 in storage I could dig out and try with the same disk, but haven't bothered with that yet. (and the CT2800 is obviously a nicer card if you want accurate OPL3 functionality; not sure how the SNR and filtering/bass levels compare)
Mine's pretty much identical to this CT2800 Re: advice on sound cards opti med3931 vs vibra 16 both isa (I haven't checked to see if it really needs -5V, it's only been in systems with AT or older ATX power supplies so far, same thing for a CT2860 a friend and I've used in the past)

It's also worth noting this worked without issue without installing emu386 or such, the vibra 16 installation disk doesn't do the 386 detection thing it seems. (though it's also worth noting the drivers do eat up a fair bit of conventional memory, so cards allowing driverless installation might be preferred in some systems, granted in my case DOS 5 would be leaner than 6 and there's QRAM and such, especially if you want to avoid extended memory DOS loading and EMS XMS conflict issues or weird 286 XMS DOS loader issues)

Getting Sound Blaster 16 Vibra to work under DOS

This older thread mentioned EMU386 being necessary and using CTCM.

Reply 26 of 28, by RetroBard

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dca2 wrote on 2015-06-27, 00:50:
I managed to have SB ViBRA16X (CT4170) working in my XT box. Since ctcm.exe doesn't work on 286 or before, I actually coded an o […]
Show full quote
TheLazy1 wrote:

In my 286 all the PNP utility did was hard lock the system.

Markk wrote:

The same happened to me when I tried that on two different 286 boards, and on a friend's 286 pc.

I managed to have SB ViBRA16X (CT4170) working in my XT box. Since ctcm.exe doesn't work on 286 or before, I actually coded an old school Turbo-C program for doing ISA PnP:

CT4170.zip

There is definitely no guarantee that it will work in general (as it is just an in-house tool), and not all jumper-less sound cards are PnP cards (e.g.: CT2770). But it also won't hurt to have a try. It's a non-TSR utility (won't stay in memory after run).

It's better to put it in AUTOEXEC.BAT and position it AFTER the 'BLASTER' environment var:
-------------------------------------------
set BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H1 P330 T2
ct4170.exe
-------------------------------------------

Dispite its file name, it should be suitable for a few other PnP sound cards than CT4170, in both XT or AT systems.

I got my Vibra16 working in my 286, thanks to your driver.