User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I am know which is most popular old computer component

Here the small list about most popular component:
- 440BX mobo
- 3dfx Voodoo2
- Pentium III Tualatin

Anyone know which is popular component other than listed above?

Reply 2 of 29, by m1919

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

AWE64 Gold seems quite popular. The Voodoo5 5500, also a popular staple for the retro enthusiast. Slot-A Athlons also have some appeal, but decent boards and the faster processors themselves seem to be harder to find than the standard Slot-1 P2/P3 stuff.

Crimson Tide - EVGA 1000P2; ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS; 2x E5-2697 v3 14C 3.8 GHz on all cores (All core hack); 64GB Samsung DDR4-2133 ECC
EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3; EVGA 750 Ti SC; Sound Blaster Z

Reply 3 of 29, by northernosprey02

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
m1919 wrote:

AWE64 Gold seems quite popular

What is difference Gold with Standard one other than had RCA output jack and much memory capacity?

Oh yeah, is Roland MT-32 also popular for retro enthusiast?

Reply 4 of 29, by m1919

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
northernosprey02 wrote:
m1919 wrote:

AWE64 Gold seems quite popular

What is difference Gold with Standard one other than had RCA output jack and much memory capacity?

Oh yeah, is Roland MT-32 also popular for retro enthusiast?

AWE64 Gold has gold contacts and the ability for expanded memory through either Creative's proprietary expansion board or a SIMMConn. It also looks better than the non-gold cards. 😁

Actually, I think you can find SIMMConn boards for non-gold AWE64 cards as well.

Crimson Tide - EVGA 1000P2; ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS; 2x E5-2697 v3 14C 3.8 GHz on all cores (All core hack); 64GB Samsung DDR4-2133 ECC
EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3; EVGA 750 Ti SC; Sound Blaster Z

Reply 5 of 29, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There is so much that was popular:
386DX-40
Paradise PVGA1A
Tseng ET4000
Gravis Ultrasound
Soundblaster 16
Goldstar Prime 2
Quantum Fireballs
SCSI CD-ROM Burner
486DX-25 (probably because it was the only 486 CPU with a reasonable price at this time)
486DX2-66 with VLB
Matrox Millenium
Gigabyte GA-586HX, ASUS P55T2P4
Pentium 133

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 6 of 29, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
elianda wrote:

There is so much that was popular:
486DX-25 (probably because it was the only 486 CPU with a reasonable price at this time)

The 486DX-25 was popular? It was hardly available at all. I only remember the 486 _SX_ 25 being popular back in the days..

www.AmoRetro.de Visit my huge hardware gallery with many historic items from 16MHz 286 to 1000MHz Slot A. Includes more than 80 soundcards and a growing Wavetable Recording section with more than 300 recordings.

Reply 11 of 29, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I second that 😉

www.AmoRetro.de Visit my huge hardware gallery with many historic items from 16MHz 286 to 1000MHz Slot A. Includes more than 80 soundcards and a growing Wavetable Recording section with more than 300 recordings.

Reply 12 of 29, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Almost anything made by 3dfx or Roland is very popular. Some of the best stuff, regardless of company for vintage computer gaming enthusiasts include :

Voodoo 2 12MB (x2 for SLI, especially the Quantum 3D Obsidian X-24)
Voodoo 5 5500 (any version)
Roland MPU-401 (any)
Am5x86 and Cyrix 5x86
Unlocked Pentium IIs, IIIs and above
Pentium III-S 1.4GHz Tualatin
Good PCI 486 Motherboards
Roland LAPC-I, SCC-1, SCB-55, MT-32, CM-32L, CM-500, CM-300, SC-55, SC-55mkII, SC-88
Sound Blaster 2.0 w/CMS chip upgrade
Adlib Gold, especially with the Surroundsound module
Gravis Ultrasound (any, especially the PnP)
Tseng ET4000-6100
Virtually anything made by Canopus
Ensoniq Soundscapes (except the PCI stuff)
Yamaha DB50XG and equivalents

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 14 of 29, by Kensuke_Aida

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

AMD K6 processors and SS7 motherboards were wildly popular back in the day because they could be had for much cheaper than comparable Pentiums and Slot 1 mobos. I think only now the situation is such where you have a tough choice to make.

S3 made some of the most popular 2D accelerators, while 3dfx ruled the 3D market for most of the early years.

Another thing that was extremely popular were those AT tower cases with LED digits. I rarely see those nowadays though.

That's how I remember it, at least.

- John

Reply 15 of 29, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kensuke_Aida wrote:
AMD K6 processors and SS7 motherboards were wildly popular back in the day because they could be had for much cheaper than compa […]
Show full quote

AMD K6 processors and SS7 motherboards were wildly popular back in the day because they could be had for much cheaper than comparable Pentiums and Slot 1 mobos. I think only now the situation is such where you have a tough choice to make.

S3 made some of the most popular 2D accelerators, while 3dfx ruled the 3D market for most of the early years.

Another thing that was extremely popular were those AT tower cases with LED digits. I rarely see those nowadays though.

That's how I remember it, at least.

- John

It shouldn't be a tough choice to make with price no longer being the big consideration that it once was. If you're building a system that you will actually be using, then Slot 1/Socket370 systems simply outperform SS7 systems and with fewer bugs. The only reason you should have to go with SS7 is for nostalgic reasons or if you want to test how a particular part works (or doesn't work) in a SS7 system. Most of your games will run much better on one of the Intel platforms.

Reply 16 of 29, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ATX power supplies with the proper voltages?
Perhaps IDE-to-flash media adapters?

elianda wrote:

SCSI CD-ROM Burner

I can't really see how that ever would have been particularly popular.

If you're talking about back in the day, then you might as well include Zip drives. 🤣

Reply 17 of 29, by s3freak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have an S3 Trio64V2 775 2MB and a Creative SoundBlaster 16. It is a genuine SoundBlaster 16, not a clone.

My 486 is my real DOSBox, as well as my customised DOSBox!
I am not very active on VOGONS, please send a private message if you need a quicker response!

Reply 18 of 29, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jorpho wrote:

If you're talking about back in the day, then you might as well include Zip drives. 🤣

Well, maybe for me different things are popular as for the retro newcomers now.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 19 of 29, by Kensuke_Aida

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote:
ATX power supplies with the proper voltages? Perhaps IDE-to-flash media adapters? […]
Show full quote

ATX power supplies with the proper voltages?
Perhaps IDE-to-flash media adapters?

elianda wrote:

SCSI CD-ROM Burner

I can't really see how that ever would have been particularly popular.

I have a Zip drive. An external USB model. I picked it up at Goodwill for $5 because it was in pristine condition and I thought "ehhh...what the hell."

Actually, they did have their moment in the sun when CD-R(W)s were still obscenely expensive. They were popular enough to spur a class-action lawsuit over their reliability.

I also used to have a SCSI Jaz drive. Now THAT was REALLY nice back in the day. Never failed. But again, better things came along to displace it.

There's a difference between what's popular now and what's was popular when it first came out. It's all thanks to hindsight.

- John