VOGONS

Reply 20 of 29, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Great Hierophant, why 'especially the PnP version' of Gravis? Though I had no GUS at all, I have heard that GF1-based versions are preferable for games. What's your opinion on that?

Reply 21 of 29, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

From my experience Classic and MAX sell much better than PnP. Also Classic/Max look 10x cooler 😁
Both sound similar, even tried Utopia for PnP where i liked the 4MB Gravis sound patches better.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 22 of 29, by northernosprey02

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A few month ago, I saw the much old AT and earlier ATX case on sale in eBay. But sadly the seller was disappear 😢 🙁

Reply 23 of 29, by Hatta

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kensuke_Aida wrote:

I have a Zip drive. An external USB model. I picked it up at Goodwill for $5 because it was in pristine condition and I thought "ehhh...what the hell."

I still have a couple zip drives. The SCSI model is a good option for classic Macs. Mine's an SE/30. And the parallel port model can be used as mass storage on an Amiga, with a custom cable.

Reply 24 of 29, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hard to pick out a single component amongst a huge catalogue of components, like the intel 486DX2-66, SBAWE32, Turbo Button, Speed LED display, many ISA based cards, Voodoo1 & 2, S3 cards, Combo 5.25" + 3.5" drive, etc..

But if strictly one, it's my Roland MT-32 or the LAPC-I card.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 25 of 29, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Maybe the GUS Classic and MAX may be more popular/desirable, but the PnP may win out because of its rareness. The Classic and MAX are more compatible for DOS games supporting the Ultrasound.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 26 of 29, by m1919

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Great Hierophant wrote:

Maybe the GUS Classic and MAX may be more popular/desirable, but the PnP may win out because of its rareness. The Classic and MAX are more compatible for DOS games supporting the Ultrasound.

Just recently bought a PnP about a month and a half ago. How rare are they? There were at least two on ebay when I got mine.

Crimson Tide - EVGA 1000P2; ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS; 2x E5-2697 v3 14C 3.8 GHz on all cores (All core hack); 64GB Samsung DDR4-2133 ECC
EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3; EVGA 750 Ti SC; Sound Blaster Z

Reply 27 of 29, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The GF1 cards together (classic, ACE, Extreme, Max) should easily outnumber the Interwave cards. In the GF1 line, you can find many cheap cards like the ACE. The PnP, however, did really not come in a low-end flavour.

"Ita in vita ut in lusu alae pessima iactura arte corrigenda est."

Reply 29 of 29, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jolaes76 wrote:

The GF1 cards together (classic, ACE, Extreme, Max) should easily outnumber the Interwave cards. In the GF1 line, you can find many cheap cards like the ACE. The PnP, however, did really not come in a low-end flavour.

"Comparatively" cheap of course! Apparently there are a few non-Gravis GF-1 based cards floating around. Anything that helps makes these cards more widespread was a good thing.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog