VOGONS

First post, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Been mucking around with this issue all afternoon and I believe the drive I'm using might be too new, but I'm not 100% sure.

I have a very new IDE DVD-RW burner from Samsung. It has analogue audio outputs and I have connected a cable to a Sound Card. Mixer has been configured to route the Audio signal as well.

However I tried various DOS Audio player utilities and nothing seems to work. Not only don't I get any audio, the drive never starts playing. The audio CD player software sometimes locks up or nothing happens when you press play.

I'd expect the timer to start running but nothing.

I tried three CD drivers, the OAK, one from Toshiba and one from TEAC.

Is it simply that the drive is way too new for DOS Audio CD functionality to work?

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 1 of 5, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well MSCDEX has an API to command the drive to play audio CDs. The ATAPI cd-rom driver should send then the appropriate command. This usually works reliable.
For very new drives it might be that the drives firmware has this part of the API removed.

This is usually no issue in windows since there the CD is read digitally and then the data is send to the soundcard.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 2 of 5, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Small update. I got hold of two older CD drives and they respond to the Audio CD commands without any issues. So basically the Samsung IDE DVDRW I have simply doesn't support DOS level CD Audio...

My YouTube channel

Reply 4 of 5, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The new drive (2 years old I think) that doesn't play Audio CD under DOS is a Samsung DVD Writer Model SH-S222 May 2010.

The drive I'm using now that plays Audio CD under DOS is a Hitachi-LG CD-ROM Drive Model GCR-8481B.

Both are black and IDE. Both have analogue audio outputs at the back (2 types), only the Hitachi-LG has a phone socket and volume dial at the front.

My YouTube channel

Reply 5 of 5, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Funny problem... I ran into a similar problem, but using Windows 98. I was testing a sound card and the more recent drives refused to work with cd player... It knows it's an audio cd, it knows how many tracks the cd has but it just skips them... I must get into it.