VOGONS

First post, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just had the chance to try out running a socket 7 motherboard - GA-586S2, which I got sometime back.

As there's no post at all, I tried changing the CPU, and the memory. Still nothing. No pc speaker beeps either.

The PSU works with other similar boards.

So, is it ....dead? It seems to be a nice board with auto-voltage and a single dip-switch module for CPU selection, separated PCI and ISA slots, Turbo button header and so on, which I really look for in these type of boards.

I thought the BIOS might be bad, but then, the non-heating CPU gave me the doubt. It does not become warm even after about 5 to 10 mins. The same when other CPU is installed.

Thanks for any information.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 1 of 11, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A lot of motherboards beep a warning into integrated PC speaker or PC speaker header if fired up with installed CPU but not-installed RAM. Check for audio.

Also, POST card tester. Also, check LED harness if any blinkenlights.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 2 of 11, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The pc speaker does not beep. Any CPU installed on it is dead cold. (I have the PDF manual for this board for selecting the right DIP switch configuration for a CPU.)

I don't have the POST tester. Perhaps I can show it to a electronics repair shop.

Reply 3 of 11, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Reminds me to order a POST card from eBay.

Take a look at the circuitry around the CPU socket. That's the power delivery system so to speak.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 6 of 11, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bushwack wrote:

I've had a bad IDE cable do this to me before, but I'm guessing the only thing you have plugged in right now is the CPU, RAM and video card, right?

That's right. Just the bare bones. I've tried swapping CPUs and RAMs - it has both the SDRAM and EDO slots and I've tried different modules on both of them separately. Also tried changing the graphics card and placing it on different PCI slots. Still nothing.

But my first thought is that even before I do all these, the CPU is supposed to get warm and hot very soon, even if the system does not POST. (At least this is what I have experienced while tinkering the motherboards and systems.) I'm guessing the power to the CPU socket is disrupted, but can't confirm it, since I don't have any experience in electronics per se.

(Forgot to add that I've changed the CMOS battery, and reset the jumpers.)

Reply 7 of 11, by fillosaurus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Is dead, Jim. Give it a decent burial.

Y2K box: AMD Athlon K75 (second generation slot A)@700, ASUS K7M motherboard, 256 MB SDRAM, ATI Radeon 7500+2xVoodoo2 in SLI, SB Live! 5.1, VIA USB 2.0 PCI card, 40 GB Seagate HDD.
WIP: external midi module based on NEC wavetable (Yamaha clone)

Reply 8 of 11, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
fillosaurus wrote:

Is dead, Jim. Give it a decent burial.

Yes, it seems to be the case.

It's been so long since I went fishing for Socket 7 mobos at ebay. Looks like I've to go back again. 😁

Reply 10 of 11, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RacoonRider wrote:

Have you tried socket 5 CPUs? If the problem is in split rail voltage regulator, a socket 5 CPU should work.

Hey, I installed my P-133 CPU and I heard the PC speaker beeps regarding no RAM installed. And the CPU was hot.

I then installed some RAM and then it booted and I was able to enter the bios!

Then, I tried with other CPUs, including the P233MMX and it works too.

But then, when I was trying to put the board in the case, and when I started, it went back to the same beginning stage. No beeps, CPU cold, etc.

I then tapped around the CPU, and again it was able to boot.

Then I tried installing the sound card. And again it won't boot.

It seems like something is loose. All the capacitors look ok to me. No evidence of leakage anywhere.

Whenever I push a card into a slot, and start the system, it won't boot.

Here's the picture of the board :

8688562457_f11e3c661a_b.jpg

And here's the (short-lasting) moment of joy :

8689680118_2bf4dd88e9_b.jpg

I also tried manually setting the voltage for each CPU, since I can see the manual settings printed on the motherboard, in addition to the auto voltage setting, but no change.