VOGONS

ECS Elite UM8810PAIO REV:2.1

Topic actions

Reply 80 of 107, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi JaNoZ, love the adjustments you made to your voltage module. My power supply was on the way out - Sparks flew and now I get no activity from the board with a different PSU. I bagged it up in a static bag for further tests but have not had the chance recently.

What is your experience like with this board?

I found it fast, stable and reliable when configured correctly but a little fussy with other hardware. It also always "felt" more responsive than other systems I have with simple things like going to bios and navigating through it.

=My Cyrix 5x86 systems : 120MHz vs 133MHz=. =My 486DX2-66MHz=

Reply 81 of 107, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What were your negative symptoms when using the SCSI card? Did you try slower SCSI cards or Ultra ATA cards?

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 83 of 107, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
JaNoZ wrote:

This is a good read rgart, what did you pay for that second ecs board with vrm.

I got it for around 30 Euro from Germany.

BastlerMike wrote:
I built up a VRM with continuously adjustable voltage within the limits of 3.1 - 4.1 V […]
Show full quote

I built up a VRM with continuously adjustable voltage within the limits of 3.1 - 4.1 V

dscf6260wsjhq.jpgdscf626305kro.jpg

I used this for reference: http://john.ccac.rwth-aachen.de:8000/misc/lacuna_vrm/

Very nice and thanks for the reference link.

feipoa wrote:

What were your negative symptoms when using the SCSI card? Did you try slower SCSI cards or Ultra ATA cards?

I cant recall. I only have two Adaptec AHA-2940U2W Ultra2-LVD and it didn't like either. I spent too long trying to get it working.. I never ended up buying the promise card you recommend.
On another note I noticed my original board had a phoenix bios but the new one has the award bios sticker underneath the Neue version sticker. Can't wait to test it out.
What is "Neue Version UM8810 Ver VBS 1.22PH" ? Does anyone know?

Original
tvZmda.jpg

New
oZTXDq.jpg
Sk9vAK.jpg

=My Cyrix 5x86 systems : 120MHz vs 133MHz=. =My 486DX2-66MHz=

Reply 85 of 107, by BastlerMike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

VBS stands for "Vobis", Germany's former largest PC distributor. The board comes from one of their "Highscreen"-branded computers. I think the "PH" at the end of the version number indicates a Phoenix bios.

Reply 86 of 107, by BastlerMike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

After soldering a 5-pin header for the PS/2 mouse and fiddling with the wires, I can also confirm that the PS/2 mouse connector is working.
The Phoenix bios shows a "Mouse intialized" message on startup.

Reply 87 of 107, by JaNoZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So only fit in 5pins in the header, and were good to go?
What adjustments need to be made?

So you have Phoenix 1.22 bios, i think 1.32J is the last version right?

Reply 88 of 107, by BastlerMike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
JaNoZ wrote:

So only fit in 5pins in the header, and were good to go?
What adjustments need to be made?

I don't know what you exactly mean.

So you have Phoenix 1.22 bios, i think 1.32J is the last version right?

I have version 3.2j and yes, it is the latest one.

Reply 94 of 107, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Attached, I have modified the UM8810PAIO v1.23 AWARD BIOS for PS/2 support. Let me know if it works.

Attachments

Reply 95 of 107, by horstmueller

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for modifying but it did not work.
No message for detecting a mouse and the cutemouse driver did not find something either.
Microsoft mousdriver loads, but if I want to test with norton commander, the system crashes.

Reply 96 of 107, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Did the Phoenix BIOS work with a PS/2 mouse for you? There are reports in this thread that some BIOS does work.

Reply 97 of 107, by horstmueller

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The Phoenix BIOS works fine with the ps2 mouse. It also recognise my Cyrix 5x86.

Only one strange thing. I was not able to Programm the BIOS chip in the board. Tried uniflash 1.40 - Always have to usw an external Programm er.

Reply 99 of 107, by Bancho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry to dig up an old thread but I've had this board for a while and want to do a build around it. I have the PS/2 bracket and VRM module and want to use a Cyrix 5x86 100GP cpu on the board. My board must have come out of a Viglen machine as the BIOS mentions that when booting - I will try and get the bios details which is currently on the board. I'm sure its a Phoenix Bios.

How do i go about flashing the bios on this? If it possible to flash it using software or is it a chip out into a programmer jobbie?

MzjnsxXl.jpg