VOGONS

ECS Elite UM8810PAIO REV:2.1

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 107, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah I have only ever seen the UM8810 boards with a phoenix bios.

I really enjoy using this board though - Configured properly and with the right hardware choices its fast and stable.

I still have not succeeded in getting a SCSI card working in it though.

=My Cyrix 5x86 systems : 120MHz vs 133MHz=. =My 486DX2-66MHz=

Reply 42 of 107, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
horstmueller wrote:

i recently got my hands a rev 2.1 ... one question: Did you get your ps2 mouse port working? I get always the message "PS/2 Mouse: Not Installed"

Maybe it needs to be enabled?

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 44 of 107, by JaNoZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is a good read rgart, what did you pay for that second ecs board with vrm.
I got myself a ecs um8810paio rev2.0 with amibios.
I 1st got myself a 5x86 with regulator on it, but it is slow.
Got myself some cyrix,s cpu's to test but am new to cyrix.
The jumper for 5v or regulator really pissed me off.
I had some different vrm's for 486 lying around but not pin compatible so i checked connections and built an adapter.
I can choose between 3.0v,3.15v, 3.3v,3,45v,3.6v,3.84v,4.0v and of course the brutal 5v with the big jumper.
I wish i could show you the pics of it, but my main internet laptop died few weeks ago, did some gpu reflowing and still have to put it together.

Btw anyone know if it will support 512kb cache , i did not see any jumpers settings to set that size.

Reply 45 of 107, by JaNoZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Rgart what voltages are possible with original vrm?
Btw if anyones interested i might take some time to build a proper vrm a like from scratch for this ecs board if anyone interested, let me know.

Reply 46 of 107, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

rgart, horstmueller, and janoz

Does your rev 2.x board have a header for the PS/2 mouse port? Or does it just have some solder pads, needing you to solder on a header?

Horstmueller, What have you done to test for a working PS/2 mouse port on this board? What are the pin-outs for the PS/2 mouse header?

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 49 of 107, by horstmueller

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

my board has a header - but I am not sure, if the preowner maybe had soldered it in.
I measured the middle pin which seems to be ground and the 4th pin is cutted -
Board ist orientated like this: Isa, PCI, PS2 header, AT Keyboard

Referring to this numbering:
3: gnd
4: cutted ( NC?)

I measured the remaining 3 Pins assuming that pin 4 is NC - all got 5V - so I tried this 6 Versions:

Version 1:
CLK
VCC
GND
-
DATA

Version 2:
Data
VCC
GND
-
CLK

Version 3:
VCC
Data
GND
-
CLK

Version 4:
Data
CLK
GND
-
VCC

Version 5:
CLK
DATA
GND
-
VCC

Version 6:
VCC
CLK
GND
-
DATA

Nothing works ...
What I was thinking about is, that maybe the keyboard controller is not capable of ps2/mouse - mine reads on the backside
RAMIF
B31810 TS2
9510B TAIWAN

and on the frontside
AMIKEY tm-2
(c) '85-'92 Am. Megatrends Inc.

But since I do not have another Controller - so currently the ps2 port project is on hold

Reply 50 of 107, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I am curious why you are guessing the Vcc pins? You should be able to measure which pins are Vcc and GND based on the Vcc and GND pins on the PSU connector. The only somewhat uncertain pins are Data and CLK, but there are only two possible positions for those. Even those two pins can be determined by looking at the HOLTEK keyboard controller datasheet and using the beep function on your multi-meter.
http://www.datasheetarchive.com/HT6542B-datasheet.html

Reply 51 of 107, by horstmueller

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am curious why you are guessing the Vcc pins

The answer why I tried is quite simple ... because I did not think of your suggested measuring procedure. 😉
But I will do so. - If I have to bet on one, it will be Version 1 from my list above.
Do you have some information on the mentioned keyboard controller? Is this chip able to support ps2 mice?

Reply 52 of 107, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

AMIKEY-2 should support PS/2 mice and the pins for PS/2 mouse data and clock should be the same as that shown on the Holtek keyboard controller.

Reply 53 of 107, by horstmueller

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hmm good news - but that means there is one option less to get ps2 port runing.
I think I have to measure this evening.
Maybe the cutted pin ist used for a signal or there are some traces broken on the board.

Or ... it simply does not work.

Reply 54 of 107, by JaNoZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Mine 2.0 has no ps2 pins in there only empty spots, i will solder in the pins, and try figure out if it works.
Should i use a standard ps2 connection from lets say an asus socket 7 board?

Reply 56 of 107, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
JaNoZ wrote:
This is a good read rgart, what did you pay for that second ecs board with vrm. I got myself a ecs um8810paio rev2.0 with amibio […]
Show full quote

This is a good read rgart, what did you pay for that second ecs board with vrm.
I got myself a ecs um8810paio rev2.0 with amibios.
I 1st got myself a 5x86 with regulator on it, but it is slow.
Got myself some cyrix,s cpu's to test but am new to cyrix.
The jumper for 5v or regulator really pissed me off.
I had some different vrm's for 486 lying around but not pin compatible so i checked connections and built an adapter.
I can choose between 3.0v,3.15v, 3.3v,3,45v,3.6v,3.84v,4.0v and of course the brutal 5v with the big jumper.
I wish i could show you the pics of it, but my main internet laptop died few weeks ago, did some gpu reflowing and still have to put it together.
Btw anyone know if it will support 512kb cache , i did not see any jumpers settings to set that size.

An ECS UM8810 ver2.0 with AMIBIOS? ehhh?
I paid $50 for the second UM8810. That voltage module was not easy to find!
Why do you say you got a 5x86 with regulator "but its slow" ?
The UM8810-PAIO Version 2 can support up to 512k cache

JaNoZ wrote:

Rgart what voltages are possible with original vrm?
Btw if anyones interested i might take some time to build a proper vrm a like from scratch for this ecs board if anyone interested, let me know.

Interested! 😜
I cant tell you what voltages are standard on the original vrm because I'm still waiting for that second board.
For some reason packages from the USA take up to 6-8 weeks for me lately.

Reply 57 of 107, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Your pics finally loaded! my DSL connection has been shaped 😜
Wow nice voltage and IDE flash modules!

It really is a great motherboard and that's why I bought a second after I killed the first 😀
Once I get these boards set up correctly I have never been able to crash them and for some weird reason they "feel" really fast.

Reply 58 of 107, by JaNoZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

How did you killed the first?

The Kingston turbo chip was a miss on integer benchmarks i am used to, an normal am5x86 runs better.
Probably caused by different setting, probably also the turbo chip is hardwired to use WT cache setup for L1 cache instead of WB for normal chip.
But i will change the settings on the PCB of the turbo chip, i will add some switches to set the multiplier and the L1 cache settings to WB of course.
Then it will run ok on the 5v mobo without additional VRM. not that i need it anymore.
I will try to play with some cyrix 100GP i have two now, the VRM is of better help now and i will run 3,6v and or 3,84v.

I payed 14 euro ex shipping for the board, the dallas chip was missing but i had onelying around still ok.

Last edited by JaNoZ on 2013-11-30, 12:30. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 59 of 107, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Janoz, I am curious why you didn't just modify the module directly. Perhaps you wanted to preserve the originality of the ECS module?

Does that KBC in your ECS board support ps/2 mice? Do you have a Holtek or AMIKEY-2?