VOGONS

First post, by northernosprey02

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have ECS P5TX-Apro from ALR Optima MT, but I think it won't turn on (already tested since 6 month ago). What is cause of my 430TX mobo won't turn on? I push the power button and nothing turned on. Please help me for this problem.....

I want to deciding to rebuilt the 430TX system when the mobo work correctly, because the PII a bit overkill for DOS. Pair with 64MB RAM (but it's hard to find) for best performance (because >64MB get slower performance). And I use S3 Trio64V2/DX video card for best DOS compatibility. For sound card, any AWE64 should enough for me. Any suggestion about that?

EDIT: Is mobo dead caused by it place outside case for long time causing oxidation or other environment chemical reaction? Or it was rat contaminated? I had storing the TriGem 440LX mobo to the inside drawer rather placed outside and it still working.

Reply 1 of 15, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Long term storage in anything other than an anti static bag means a very good chance of ESD damage that can render sensitive electronics useless.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 2 of 15, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you unplug the machine for 30 seconds, then plug it in and try to turn it on, does the fan twitch? If it twitches for a moment, that would mean that the PSU is getting overloaded and automatically shutting off. Once that happens, it will stay off until you unplug it for several seconds.
If this happens, it means that something is shorted.

Reply 3 of 15, by northernosprey02

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
shamino wrote:

If you unplug the machine for 30 seconds, then plug it in and try to turn it on, does the fan twitch? If it twitches for a moment, that would mean that the PSU is getting overloaded and automatically shutting off. Once that happens, it will stay off until you unplug it for several seconds.
If this happens, it means that something is shorted.

It was mobo itself, I use my own PSU. But it won't turn on, is invisible ESD causing this? I don't understand

Reply 5 of 15, by northernosprey02

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
shamino wrote:

I mean does any of the fans move a tiny bit the first time you plug it in and try to turn it on? What I'm talking about would be a very short movement, just a tiny twitch.

Yes... The fan move for a while and turn off

Reply 6 of 15, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have had stuff that sat out for years and salvage machines/parts that most would have never thought would work. When it comes to ESD it is all about the environment is stored, come a dust storm and everyone can feel the static in their hair even a anti static bag might not be enough.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 8 of 15, by fillosaurus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Some motherboards (yes even old Pentium ones) will not start if the battery is discharged. I suggest you measure the CR2032's voltage. If is below 2 volts, try a new one.
I remember having a ECS P5TX-Bpro 12 years ago, and it did NOT work if the battery was discharged.

Y2K box: AMD Athlon K75 (second generation slot A)@700, ASUS K7M motherboard, 256 MB SDRAM, ATI Radeon 7500+2xVoodoo2 in SLI, SB Live! 5.1, VIA USB 2.0 PCI card, 40 GB Seagate HDD.
WIP: external midi module based on NEC wavetable (Yamaha clone)

Reply 9 of 15, by northernosprey02

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
fillosaurus wrote:

Some motherboards (yes even old Pentium ones) will not start if the battery is discharged. I suggest you measure the CR2032's voltage. If is below 2 volts, try a new one.
I remember having a ECS P5TX-Bpro 12 years ago, and it did NOT work if the battery was discharged.

I believe that mobo had discharged battery, I have to replace them soon. But if it still won't turn on how I can do? Plug them longer and put them properly when testing?

Reply 10 of 15, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Trying a fresh battery is a good idea.

northernosprey02 wrote:
shamino wrote:

I mean does any of the fans move a tiny bit the first time you plug it in and try to turn it on? What I'm talking about would be a very short movement, just a tiny twitch.

Yes... The fan move for a while and turn off

How long? Less than a second?
Do you have to unplug it before the fans will move again?

If the fans barely move at all, and then you have to unplug it, then it probably means the power supply is sensing an overload and shutting off. This would mean something is shorted. If it's an ATX power supply, then you have to unplug it to make it reset before it will try to work again. AT might be different.

Reply 11 of 15, by northernosprey02

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
shamino wrote:

How long? Less than a second?
Do you have to unplug it before the fans will move again?

2 second the turn off.

I don't know, but my PSU (Thermaltake EVO_Blue 550W) had power switch. So I must switch off before the fan moved?

Reply 12 of 15, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If it runs for 2 seconds that sounds like some other problem, probably not a short. If it was a short circuit it would only run for a very tiny moment.

It's normal that many ATX motherboards will run for about 2 seconds and then turn off until you use the switch on the motherboard. So it sounds like some problem with activating the motherboard switch. I don't know what it would be though.

Definitely try a fresh battery.

I had one motherboard that wouldn't switch on, and I forced it to run by soldering a wire underneath the motherboard that connected the green and black wires from the power supply. This defeats the motherboard switch and forces it to run constantly. That's a bad thing to do, but I was desperate so I did it anyway. It worked until 6 months later when the board wouldn't POST anymore.

I don't know, but my PSU (Thermaltake EVO_Blue 550W) had power switch. So I must switch off before the fan moved?

If the problem was that the power supply sensed an overload, it won't run again until it is unplugged for several seconds. If the PSU has a switch then that will do the same thing as unplugging it.
Unplugging will also remove standby voltage from the motherboard, so it might reset some of the motherboard's behavior also.

Reply 13 of 15, by northernosprey02

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Resurrecting this thread

Just replacing the battery on P5TX-Apro and using IBM NetVista PSU to power on. The mobo can boot and work like a champ! Thank's for all!! I want to build DOS Time Machine with this mobo!

Reply 14 of 15, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
northernosprey02 wrote:

Resurrecting this thread

Just replacing the battery on P5TX-Apro and using IBM NetVista PSU to power on. The mobo can boot and work like a champ! Thank's for all!! I want to build DOS Time Machine with this mobo!

looks it took you 3 weeks replacing a battery. 🤣

Reply 15 of 15, by northernosprey02

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
noshutdown wrote:

looks it took you 3 weeks replacing a battery. 🤣

Haha! I don't have anytime to replacing battery actually, I take the battery from ASUS P2B-F which it still fresh. My DOS Machine Thread coming soon!