VOGONS

12 mhz 286

Topic actions

First post, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am considering a purchase: a 12 mhz 286, 1 Mb RAM, 40 Mb HDD in a slim proprietary case, that has built-in video out (15-pin), COM and LPT ports and seemingly allows installation of 2 ISA cards.

tandon.jpg

Though I were introduced to the world of computers already at Pentium epoch, I can't imagine what percentage of games can be run at that hardware. When I was younger, my father took me sometimes to school computer room full of IBM PS/2. IIRC they were some kind of 286 and I was able to play Prince of Persia, Golden Axe and few other games I can't even recall. But that's only few, what about others?

The question is: I can buy that 286 cheap (like, $25), but won't I end up encountering that nearly nothing can be played at such hardware? And due to proprietary case I don't think it can be upgraded.

Reply 3 of 29, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I bet the video output is normal VGA unless the whole machine was custom-made for some medical equipment or machinery... I don't see a ps2 mouseport, only a keyboard one. Most likely you need a serial mouse

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 29, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's a Tandon 286/N. It was a low-cost workstation from ~1990.

Yes, it's VGA, and regular PS/2 for the keyboard. I believe it's also standard IDE for the hard drive interface.

Reply 5 of 29, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, it's a Tandon 286/N, and it has an IDE Seagate ST157A HDD, but I couldn't find any info on its video subsystem.

Seems it was a cheaper model of the later times of 386, otherwise it wouldn't cost a mere thousand bucks.

Last edited by bristlehog on 2013-05-16, 04:06. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 6 of 29, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I remember having a 12 MHz 286, and some games were still just a little bit too fast to be reasonably playable.

The more important question is, would you really want to play something that old? And if you would, would DOSBox really be such an unacceptable alternative? We are not talking about particularly entertaining games here.

Reply 7 of 29, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am more into game music than into the games themselves. I have already encountered that one PC isn't enough to install all the music hardware and stumbled upon this in search for a compact something (I don't want to be slaughtered by wife!) This one could serve a home for some SB 2.0 or an ATI Stereo F/X...

What are recommended soundcards for a 286 anyway?

Reply 8 of 29, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Aside from an SB 2.0, the only thing that would be vaguely appropriate would be the Adlib or Adlib Gold.

The 286 was hardly a golden age for PC music; most things were still operating on PC speaker beeps.

Reply 9 of 29, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Will there be a possibility to install a faster 286, or these CPUs are soldered to motherboards?

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 10 of 29, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's not just a matter of soldering; the higher speed would also have to be supported by the motherboard. You'd have to dig out the manual somewhere to be sure.

http://redhill.net.au/c/c-2.html suggests the only faster chip you're likely to find is a 286-16.

Reply 11 of 29, by Hatta

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Wolf3d will be just playable on that machine. It will be too fast for games meant for a 4.77mhz XT. But there are still plenty of games to make it worthwhile. This is a great system for Sierra adventure games. Jetfighter 2 should be fine. Civilization will work too. SSI Gold Box RPGs will be great. Commander Keen will be great. Plenty of good stuff to play on that machine.

Reply 12 of 29, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For $25 you will seldom find better deals than this epically when it is in good condition. I think that you will find plenty of games that will run on this machine playable. Don't worry to much about the cpu not being fast enough.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 13 of 29, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Hatta wrote:

Wolf3d will be just playable on that machine. It will be too fast for games meant for a 4.77mhz XT. But there are still plenty of games to make it worthwhile. This is a great system for Sierra adventure games. Jetfighter 2 should be fine. Civilization will work too. SSI Gold Box RPGs will be great. Commander Keen will be great. Plenty of good stuff to play on that machine.

Except all of those will be quite a bit better even on a much faster machine.

Reply 14 of 29, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There are lots of games designed for XT systems and they would run great on this 286. There are many VGA games for a 286 too. I had a 20MHz 286 and I fell in love with dos games back then with it. A love I still carry on today. When 286 arrived, games started having labels with 'Requires ....IBM PC AT and compatibles....' just like how the games during Pentium era came with Pentium labels. With a MT-32 and a SoundBlaster card, that 286 will do wonders.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 15 of 29, by Hatta

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I doubt many XT games will run at the right speed on this machine. I have to underclock my 8mhz 286 Tandy to get many games to run at the right speed. Fortunately my Tandy comes with a MODE command that will cock it to 4.77mhz. I dunno about this machine.

And yes, most games that will run on this machine will run better on a 386. But the OP doesn't have an opportunity to buy a 386 for $25, so that's not really relevant.

I just noticed, is that a PS/2 mouse port? That's really unusual for a 286 if it is. Bus mice are more common on 286s but I don't think I've seen them built into the motherboard before. That would fit pretty well into a KVM setup if you have one.

As for music. Yes, Adlib is the typical sound card you'd put in this machine. A Creative Game Blaster would also be a period appropriate option. If you're interested in PC music, you should pick one up. It's nifty.

Reply 16 of 29, by Logistics

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jorpho wrote:

I remember having a 12 MHz 286, and some games were still just a little bit too fast to be reasonably playable.

The more important question is, would you really want to play something that old? And if you would, would DOSBox really be such an unacceptable alternative? We are not talking about particularly entertaining games here.

Considering I wholeheartedly enjoyed the games that ran on my Atari 1200XL, and it ran at less than 2 MHz, 12 seems like a godsend.

Reply 17 of 29, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, I do have an opportunity to buy a 386 for 30$ BIN, and a 486 for 17$ BIN, but these are in full-tower and mini-tower cases respectively.

As of 286, it has a 22.50$ starting bid and no BIN... but it's in a really slim case and is miraculously compatible with modern peripherals for a 286.

It's no mouse PS/2 port, but a keyboard one. As for Game Blaster, I doubt it's easy to find one. Maybe I'll get myself an ATI Stereo F/X or SB 2.0 to use with Philips CMS chips. Or if I'm extremely lucky, an IMF card... though it'll barely fit this particular case.

BTW, won't a SB Pro CT1330 be a good pair to this PC?

Reply 18 of 29, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Logistics wrote:

Considering I wholeheartedly enjoyed the games that ran on my Atari 1200XL, and it ran at less than 2 MHz, 12 seems like a godsend.

Yes, and the SNES CPU was only 3.58 MHz. It was also completely different hardware.

bristlehog wrote:

BTW, won't a SB Pro CT1330 be a good pair to this PC?

If it meets your interests in terms of game music, what else matters?

Reply 19 of 29, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Er, I kinda don't know if the games utilizing CT1330's dual OPL2 will run on a 286.

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city