VOGONS

First post, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

P4's come in for much cheerful derision in these forums but the cpu can't be as easily discounted when considering high-end platforms for the AGP V5.

In my pursuit for a fast rig to run this card, and having progressivley migrated from P-2's, Tualatin 1.1 & 1.4, Duron 1.6, I aquired an inexpensive P4 mATX board that supports a P-4/2.8mhz and has a 3.3v universal AGP slot to test.

It's early yet but the results are promising - this is a very fast setup for the V5 - not the maximum achievable per comments I received on a related thread - but substantial.

The board is a bit odd though. It's a one off 'Asus-for-Sony' part with almost no spec information, drivers, bios updates seemingly available online. While it shares many of the features of the P4S533 line it does not seem to match any of the Asus-only releases exactly so it's all very trial and error. I did manage to find the Sony user's manual - pretty useless but offers a few hints for solving some tech issue.

The major limitation is a *very* opaque bios. The only thing it really does is see the 2.8 Northwood, DDR 333 and allow a whole host of unnecessary onboard features to be turned off.

Fortunately I discovered a reference to "unlocking" the bios buried in an 10-year old OC forum which makes life a lot easier. Remove the ram, fire up to the beeps, shutdown, replace ram, reboot and then when you can access a 'safe mode' bios with all th bells and whistles. The downside is this needs to be done each time you want to enter the detailed bios.

Nonetheless I was able to confirm 2x AGP mode, CPU:DRAM ratio [4:5], ram frequency/timings and verify that more OC related settings were available.

One other issue is that the board needs a power supply with a 3-pin power fan speed monitor plug in or it reports a bogus rpm error at POST - it's by-passable [F1] but an annoyance. I'm tracking down a case fan with an RPM sensor plug now.

Also, there is one "Unknown Device" in Device Manager I can't resolve and I'm hoping that it's the fan speed monitor function. We'll see.

Slowing building up the OS setup, and more later.

EDIT: It just feels really fast compared to the previous builds..

Last edited by tincup on 2013-05-02, 02:45. Edited 5 times in total.

Reply 1 of 6, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Interesting, I've often wondered what difference it would make to go above an athlon xp2000 with a v5. I was guessing the graphics card must be close to maxed out at that cpu speed [video ram speed being one limiting factor, I guess agp bandwitdth is another] but some games have substantial cpu-based elements [and look best on a v5] so could benefit substantially fromn a faster cpu even if they gpu can't go much faster. A lot depends on the game I suppose.

when you get it running fully some benchmarks [maybe at different cpu speeds?] would be really interesting to see.

Reply 2 of 6, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ratfink wrote:

when you get it running fully some benchmarks [maybe at different cpu speeds?] would be really interesting to see.

I will try.. Right now it just feels like the P4/2.8/533 is leaving 1.x Tualatin/Durons in the dust but we will see. I also like that a ridiculed part may prove so productive. I want to do a Tualatin 1.4/Duron 1.6/P4 2.8 bench.

BTW: Does anyone know of a BIOS update or trick that permanently unlocks the 'Sony' BIOS? Or have any experience at all with this board? I'm actually liking the setup right now warts and all.

Reply 3 of 6, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You don't have too many high end AGP boards you can run a Voodoo 5 in because of the voltage issue. When I purchased my 5500 AGP new I was running a new P3-733 system. While a faster CPU should speed up gaming with that card there must be a limit somewhere.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 4 of 6, by NitroX infinity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Right now it just feels like the P4/2.8/533 is leaving 1.x Tualatin/Durons in the dust but we will see.

It sounds like you're surprised about that. Tualatins, Durons and Thunderbirds stopped being competitive when Pentium 4 reached 2GHz.

I used to run my V5 5500 AGP on a P4S533 with 2.26GHz P4. It performed about the same as an AthlonXP 2000+ if I remember correctly. (2500+ points in 3DMark2001se, standard settings).

NitroX infinity's 3D Accelerators Arena | Yamaha RPA YGV611 & RPA2 YGV612 Info

Reply 5 of 6, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A little bit. I was so used to hearing how well Tualatins stood up to the P4 in the early going I was prepared for less of a significant improvement. It's all good though and I think I have the V5 platform I'm looking for.

Native USB2 and DDR are nice touches too. Lack of ISA slots is not an issue as I have other retro rigs to cover those setups.

I ran a P4/2.4 for many years but as the motherboard didn't support agp 2x/3.3v I never had the opportunity to actually test the performance of my V5 with it. Now, with the P4S533 I can - nice...

Reply 6 of 6, by NitroX infinity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is an interesting and recent topic on a German 3dfx board relted to this;
http://www.voodooalert.de/board/index.php?pag … &threadID=19429

NitroX infinity's 3D Accelerators Arena | Yamaha RPA YGV611 & RPA2 YGV612 Info