VOGONS

First post, by NitroX infinity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't know much about (super) socket 7 cpu's so am I correct in the following?

It works on 400MHz with a 100MHz FSB and multiplier of 4 in Super Socket 7 boards but when you put it in a regular Socket 7 board, it runs with a 66MHz FSB and multiplier of 6?

If this is the case, can it be run with a multiplier of 6 in the Super Socket 7 board?

NitroX infinity's 3D Accelerators Arena | Yamaha RPA YGV611 & RPA2 YGV612 Info

Reply 2 of 6, by NitroX infinity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Is it possible to get it running at 200MHz with a 100MHz FSB in a SS7 board?

And what about the 450AHX or AFX, do those also remap the x2 multiplier to x6?

NitroX infinity's 3D Accelerators Arena | Yamaha RPA YGV611 & RPA2 YGV612 Info

Reply 3 of 6, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Unfortunately not. Because of compatibility reasons AMD built the CPU so that it interprets the 2x multiplier on the mainboard as 6x. You will find that motherboards don't have a 6x multiplier. That's why AMD did what they did...

The Intel Pentium does something similar, but the other way round. It interprets the 3.5x multiplier as 1.5 which allows it to run at 100 MHz.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 4 of 6, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

BTW, the K6-2+/K6-3+ CPUs have another trick up their sleeves: They remap 2x to 6x, but they also remap 2.5x to 2x, because they don't support the 2.5x multiplier.

Reply 5 of 6, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh that's interesting to know 😀 Might drag out my K6-2+ and benchmark it will all the multipliers and cache settings...

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 6 of 6, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

According to this thread the multiplier of K6-2+/3+ chips can be set by software, even to 2x:
Overclocking software for AMD K6 CPUs