VOGONS

What OS for PII 266 96/97 Rig?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 29, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There are ways of streamlining a Windows 98 install to make it faster and less resource hungry on less powerful systems. A good one is here

http://www.litepc.com/98micro.html

There are others you can Google for.

Reply 21 of 29, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bigskymusiclover wrote:

The system in question use's a STB Velocity 128, that is based off a RIVA 128 if I am not mistaken, I am not sure what version of drivers I am using or DX version.

Drivers for STB Velocity 128: ftp://78.46.141.148/driver/STB/Velocity128/

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 23 of 29, by m1so

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't really see how Pentium 266 Mhz should need any enhancements in Windows 98 SE to make it "snappier". My old Pentium I laptop was more responsive than most office/school virus filled Windows Vista nightmares that I had the misfortune of using are today.

Reply 26 of 29, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not wanting to sound like a broken record but I'd give W95osr2 a go. Just add the usb and interface updates, then later you can compare the 'optimized' 95 setup to W98se at some point.

And you will find some games better/at all on 95 - though they do tend to be of the finicky simulation type, like: Hind/Apache [W95-3dfx patch], Aces of the Deep [Commander's ed CD], Pacific Air War Gold [CD version extras/UI]. If these are in the mix you might give it some thought.

Reply 27 of 29, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
m1so wrote:

Use Windows 98SE. This system is far more powerful than anything that would benefit from Windows 95, and the benefits of Windows 98SE far outweigh the drawbacks in my opinion. I had an ancient Pentium 1 non-MMX 133 Mhz laptop with just 24 MB RAM with Windows 98SE and it run Diablo, Age of Empires: Rise of Rome, Transport Tycoon, Duke Nukem 3D, Doom and Wolfenstein 3D perfectly.

Transport Tycoon, DN3D, Doom and Wolfenstein 3D are DOS games.

Reply 29 of 29, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I had a bleeding-edge PII 266 system from Micron Computers in 1997 (still have it somewhere, actually) which I slowly upgraded.
Stiletto's GhettoPC (TM)

I can tell you it shipped with Win95 OSR2. But I eventually upgraded it to Win98 SE. It was, and I was, happy with both. (but I was happier with Win98 SE.)

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto