VOGONS

Covox speech thingy!!!

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 64, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Stamasd, I found another parallel port DAC - complete with layout and software.
This one uses a C560 DAC chip from GDR (the other Germany). The site says it worked well on Windows 98.
It's kinda unique, because it was meant for internal installation (yes, inside of the PC)!

- LPTDAC Sound Card -
https://www-user.tu-chemnitz.de/~heha/basteln … DAC-Soundkarte/

Translation into English

dac-bs.jpg

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 61 of 64, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Interesting. I'm familiar with the C560 (I was born in Eastern Europe) and IIRC I even built with it back in the day a parallel port DAC for a Sinclair ZX Spectrum clone. Good luck finding one these days, but fortunately it's a clone of the AD558 which is still being made. And the control logic makes it possible to use 2 chips for a stereo-on-1 design with a tiny bit of external logic.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 62 of 64, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jo22 wrote on 2016-11-04, 12:05:
And it gets even better! :-D There's a little TSR driver which can provide Tandy 3-voice and Sound Source support. So you can e […]
Show full quote
squareguy wrote:

That is one of the coolest things I have seen in a long while. I was really surprised by the sound!

And it gets even better! 😁 There's a little TSR driver which can provide Tandy 3-voice and Sound Source support.
So you can enjoy these catchy tunes on your self-made Covox plug. Sound quality is nice for what it is.

Here's a sample for you. It was made with my old laptop along with a sluttishly made Covox clone.
The quality isn't the best, since my DAC only uses an approximation of what should be the proper resistor values.
The driver is also attached, since it is small and free.

Have fun!

(PS: I know this is old news for some of you.
I think there already was a discussion about this years ago. But I hope you don't mind nevertheless.)

TEMU also works fine with an Aztech SGNXPRO16 using it covox emulation.

Reply 64 of 64, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dr.zeissler wrote on 2020-12-06, 07:53:

TEMU does not work while EMM386 is loaded and TEMU seems to be a bit speed sensitive.

Hi, but does it work with QEMM maybe ?
- I can't check right now. My room is a mess and I can't do experiments right now. 😅

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//